Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tharius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Looking to purchase a non touchbar Macbook Pro and was wondering which of these two features you guys think is more worth the upgrade. I already have a desktop, so I'm personally leaning towards 16 GB RAM; however, what would you choose if you could only upgrade one?

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Well, since you don't bother to state your proposed usage case nor how long you plan to own the device, I'd say increase the RAM.

At least with storage, you have the option of attaching an external drive. Not sure if the device you are considering has RAM welded onto the motherboard (I don't memorize Apple product specs).

It would have been helpful knowing these various factors, but in their unhelpful absence, there's my answer to you.

Good luck.

Reactions: gnasher729

nusynergy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Kent - UK
Well, since you don't bother to state your proposed usage case nor how long you plan to own the device, I'd say increase the RAM.

At least with storage, you have the option of attaching an external drive. Not sure if the device you are considering has RAM welded onto the motherboard (I don't memorize Apple product specs).

It would have been helpful knowing these various factors, but in their unhelpful absence, there's my answer to you.

Good luck.

Agreed, With the bandwidth on the new MBP ports id say upgrade your RAM and use an external HDD if needed.

saqibhasan

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007

Good luck.
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Agreed, With the bandwidth on the new MBP ports id say upgrade your RAM and use an external HDD if needed.
Instead of hard drive, SanDisk sells USB-C flash drives with up to 256 GB, for example if you want to carry your movie collection around if it's not too big.

Reactions: nusynergy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.