25th Anniversary of the first commercial cellphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HiFiGuy528, Oct 13, 2008.

1. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Wow.

I actually owned a StarTac and thought it was the stuff back then.

LOL....

I can't even imagine what it will be like in 20 more years.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I owned a StarTac too. I think it was my third phone, and it's around here somewhere. :D

I've lost track of the number of cell phones I've had since my first in 1997, but they've gotten better and better. I can't wait to see what the iPhone will be like in just five years!

4. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

Got my first cell phone/car phone in 85. It filled an entire milk crate when removed from the car.
    It was several years before ppl could call you out of your home area without dialing a special prefix. I remember when follow me roaming came out. You dialed *18 when out of your home area and your calls would be forwarded to you while you roamed.

My first handheld was a candybar phone from nokia in the early 90s, then the grey motorolla flip phone which preceded the startacs. That thing was a show stopper when it came out.

5. DigMe macrumors 6502

'97 was when I got my first one too and I remember that the Star-tac was hot then. Mine was the Nokia flip-phone that was out at about that time if I remember correctly. Most people still found public cell-phone usage pretty pretentious too. :) I didn't carry mine around much and mainly used it for the free long-distance minutes.