26" Vizio TV vs. 24" Gateway Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eldonhenley, Jun 19, 2008.

1. eldonhenley macrumors newbie

OK, so I'm taking the plunge and tossing my 27" Magnavox tube TV. I'm sick of seeing my 16:9 Front Row movies (from my MB) with huge letterboxing and overscan on my 4:3 tv.

I have about a $500 budget, and I'm weighing my options between a Vizio 26" (720p) and a Gateway 24" monitor (1080p+)

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=24
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113012&CMP=AFC-C8Junction

Vizio = 26", 700:1 contrast, 8ms response, 1366x768 native
    -also has HD tuner, remote

Gateway = 24", 1000:1 contrast, 3ms response, 1920x1200 native
    -but no HD tuner/remote, no audio in/out/hub

Prices are close enough that they're not a factor, and I've read complaints about both. (Vizio native res won't match 1:1 with MB's 1280x720 via DVI to HDMI)(Gateway has Backlight Bleed issue for some people)

I'm mainly going to be using this as a bedroom TV for Front Row, and occasionally a monitor or TV (w/ SD DirecTV). I don't watch much TV, but i've also never enjoyed HD before, so that could change.

My first instinct is to lean toward the Gateway.

I guess my question is: Which of the two is the lesser evil/more benefits? Which would YOU prefer for a primarily FR machine?

2. ndhonor macrumors newbie

Well Gateway has always made great monitors. But have a look at the Samsung T260HD 25.5" Widescreen HDTV Monitor. I know that it is 550 at Circuit City but it is a great quality monitor with the HD-tuner built into it. So you get the best of both worlds.

3. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

I'd go with ndhonor and get a Samsung, they are sturdy machines and offer fantastic picture quality.

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I have the gateway and I love it-you can add audio to it but it costs extra. But I am confused on one thing you mentioned-when you say hub what are you referring to?

5. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

I have the vizio 32 inch and have no problems with it and the picture is much better then most others i have had .

6. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon