27” iMac 3.06ghz vs. Macbook 15” i7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nade, Jul 7, 2010.

  1. Nade macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    #1
    OK, so the problem is my parents will only let me buy from Bestbuy due to the financing promo, I am also applicable for the edu discount. I was wondering what the smarter choice would be. I already have an iPad and a 3 year old “BlackBooK” that I’ve been using, so I thought it made sense to buy an iMac. However the iMac i5 has been sold out online and in store for a while. The only other iMac 27” there is the core 2 duo 3.06ghz. I can buy that for or the top end(not high res though) Macbook pro for $2000. Please do not consider the money with your opinion, as it is not much of a difference for us. Also what would the apple interest add up to without the financing of the barclay card?
     
  2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #2
    The iMacs are due for an update in the immediate future, so if you do decide to go with an iMac, you might consider waiting a bit so you can get the new model. As for my opinion you should go with an iMac if you already have a MacBook, it seems like a better combo than a MacBook and MacBook Pro. Also, get at least an i5 processor.
     
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #3
    Please don't buy a Core 2 Duo machine if you have to finance it.

    I know there are "specials" right now, only because they are trying to sucker you into buying the tired old machines that are about to be replaced.

    Generally, the core 2 duo is 2 cores running as two cores, in the notebooks the 2 cores on the i5/i7 each run 2 virtual cores giving you a speed bump and acting as 4 cores.

    On the desktops the i5/i7s are quad core giving you 4 real cores and acting as 8 virtual cores. Not quite as good as 2 CPUs with 4 cores each, but a boost.

    So do you want to finance a machine with 2 cores or wait and buy one with 4/8 cores -- your choice ... a chance but you need to look to see what Best Buy offers on financing deals during the holidays also.

    iMac Core i7 versus other Macs

    MacBook Pro Core i5 and i7 versus similar Macs
     
  4. Nade thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    #4
    Thank you that second link really helps! I need to buy a mac now, I don’t want to wait any longer. I was once waiting for the Mac Pro for about 5-6 months then gave up on buying it. I will buy the MacBook Pro soon.
     
  5. Scorecard macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2010
    #5
    The C2D iMac does 4622 on Geekbench and the Core i7 MBP does 6316. The i5 iMac does 7402 and i7 iMac does 9624. So really unless you can get a i5 or i7 iMac then you're better off with the i7 MBP. Not all i7's are created equal but if you have the option of getting an i5/7 processor you are better off going that route.

    So with your situation the i7 MBP is your best bet. I would either give away your old blackbook or sell it. Because 2 laptops isn't required.

    I recently got my i7 MBP and love it. I still couldn't believe my IT guy upgraded all the items (wished for solid state but he did say it was too expensive and HD space is something I need)

    Get the MBP you'll love it!
     
  6. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #6
    Agreed. If you really, positively can't wait, then sell the MacBook, and go with the latest and greatest processor.
     
  7. londonmac macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    #7
    Moving to London from USA

    Moving to London from USA for a year + to work on film. Need new computer. Macbook 17 is more portable but prefer imac screen power and price. Should i purchase in states and ship or buy in 27 in london?:confused:
     

Share This Page