27” iMac memory upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Imola Ghost, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I have a 27” iMac late 2015 retina. It currently has 2 x 4gb of memory.

I haven’t bought memory for a really long time. I thought it was cheaper than I’ve been seeing. Can someone point me to a place that has some really good prices?

I’m wanting to change this memory out and put in about 16 or 32gb or more if the price is right.

2. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I prefer OWC (macsales.com). Never had an issue with their products, they have great and responsive customer service and for me, they are sort of a local business with their headquarters 40 miles or so away.

I know others prefer Crucial. Quality-wise, I don't think there's much of a difference.

If you want to save $, you can keep the 8 that came with it and then just add another 8 or 24.

I can confirm that mixing RAM stick is not an issue if you buy for the correct model. My 2017 iMac came with 8 but I added another 16 from OWC for a total of 24 without problems.

You can get another 8 for $82.00. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/Retina-5K/DDR3L

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 601

SaSaSushi

I recommend Crucial. This thread is the go-to for RAM upgrades in the 2017 iMac. I wish I could change the thread title but I didn't start it.

4. vddobrev macrumors 6502

I also recommend Crucial, I have installed 2x4GB kit in my 5K iMac 2015, working perfectly.