27" 2011 iMac - Output to HDTV in Native Res = Green Tint?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ahheck01, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I have a 27" 2011 iMac with the 2GB graphics. I've got a MDP->HDMI adapter hooking up to a 40" Samsung LCD whose native resolution is 1360 x 768.

However when hooked up to my iMac, using that resolution results in a green tint. Changing to 720p in display settings fixes the tint, but the actual display goes off the edges of the screen (overscan). I would much prefer using native resolution.

The weird thing is, when I hook up the adapter to my 13" 2010 Macbook Pro, I can use the 1360 x 768 resolution just fine, with proper color etc.

Any suggestions on how to fix this on my iMac? Both have clean installs of Lion with 10.7.3.

Thanks!!

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

3. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. It's a strong tint - as if one of the color channels is way overpowering the signal to the others.

Here's a pic with my iphone. http://db.tt/IxoUeJgD

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I had this with another adapter....No amount of fiddling would fix it...I bough a really cheap NEET adapter...Works perfectly on all my macs. I tend not to connect the 27" to the 42" display very often though.

5. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Monoprice adapter and HDMI cable.

The weird thing is, it works perfectly on the MBP, so it's a software/hardware thing, not adapter/cable thing.

----------

I read somewhere else that someone fixed it on a PC by changing the refresh rate - I dont' have access to changing refresh rate on it - is there any hacks or ways to control that?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You can change the resolution...(which does change the Refresh rate) by going to system>preferences > displays....Choose a lower one and see if it helps!

7. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Like I mentioned before, changing the resolution to 720p fixes the color issue, but when using my Macbook Pro I can use the native resolution and the color works. I'm trying to find an solution to use the native resolution, so changing the resolution to something else isn't a solution. :p

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You should have the same 2GB graphics as I do. (2011 iMac i7 ) My tv is a Toshiba Regza 42" smart model. I can't understand why two identical iMacs behave differently. There are only two differences....The TV's and the HDMI adapters.

----------

One last thing....Have you tried a PRAM re-set?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

True, but remember the adapter is hardware too. I've had MDP to HDMI adapters that have worked w/ one model year MBP but not a subsequent one. Just for giggles if you've exhausted all other possibilities you might want to try a adapter and cable combo from a different vendor who guarantees compatibility with the 2011 27"ers. Buy local if possible so you can return if it doesn't work either.