27" 2560 x 1440 Monitor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Traverse, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I am starting my new job soon and will be taking my 1080p and 1200p display to the office so I finally have an excuse to get a new display for home!

I really wanted a Thunderbolt Display, but refused to buy such outdated tech and now they've discontinued it. I'd wait for the Fall, but I doubt they'll come up with anything and if they do, I fear it'll be a 5K display which will be incredibly expensive and too much for my 2013 MacBook to handle.

What are some recommendations for good quality 1440p monitors by the community? Preferable with built in speakers, but that's not a deal breaker. I don't want 4K because I don't want to run that scaled and full 4K is too small on a 27" display (which is the size I was hoping to say in.

This Asus one caught my eye, but I kind of feel like Asus has traditionally been a cheap brand, but it has good reviews. What are some of your recommendations?

Note: I'm not opposed to Dell, but the two Dell ultrasharps I've had have both had flickering and shadowing issues, so I'd like to avoid Dell if I can.

Thanks! I appreciate your input!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Here's an Acer monitor that has received good reviews from Macworld Mag and is currently stocked by Amazon.

LINK

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

I know you mentioned an aversion to Dell, but their UltraSharps really are excellent. U2715H in 27". I have the same in 25", and it's perfect in all aspects. No speakers, though.

Also matches the Apple aesthetic better than most third party monitors, I think.

24-260-234-TS.jpeg

4. auero macrumors 65816

I'm also looking for a similar monitor, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to go 4k or Ultrawide. I'm aware you mentioned that you've had issues with Dell in general, but the Dell P2715Q would probably my first choice. It comes with a factory color calibration report and several designers I know swear by this monitor as being perfect. Dell has exchanged it if there was an issues with bleed, etc. It also comes with a three year warranty which is reassuring.

I'd get two of these if I could and go dual 4K, but my late 2013 MBP can't handle two 4K displays at 60HZ.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What some users are doing is getting their main monitor 4K and a smaller second monitor for your social media sometimes with the second monitor in portrait on a cheap 1080p monitor!

6. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

7. chscag macrumors 68000

That's the same monitor I linked you to in my post above. Like I stated, it received good reviews from Macworld Mag. The only negative Macworld stated about it was that it did not tilt enough to their liking and the speakers were just so, so.

8. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

Oops, I forgot about that when I was researching today. Don't I feel dumb :oops:
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    Can a late 2013 15" MacBook Pro HDMI handle 1440p at 60?

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It can handle two 2160p at 60 Hz. One 1440p is nothing. HDMI is fine, too, if you prefer it.

10. Traverse, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016

Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

@JTToft I ordered a display port cable because according to my research, HDMI 1.4 can't do 1440p at 60Hz

11. JTToft macrumors 68040

- DisplayPort is preferable, but HDMI 1.4 can do 1440p 60 Hz perfectly fine. It's the version that's in monitors with that resolution.

12. auero, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016

auero macrumors 65816

For what it's worth, I got my P2715Q today and I'm in love. I'm considering a second now now :D

13. JTToft macrumors 68040

- If you have the dedicated GPU in it, yes.
    That buyer's guide is inconsistent as well. Mid 2014 and Late 2013 have the same graphics and the same IO. It stands to reason they should support the same monitors.

campyguy was the first person I saw test it out. You can see a recent confirmation from him here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...nd-2-x-4k-with-5k-imac.1978221/#post-23193937

14. auero macrumors 65816

Yeah I jumped the gun which is why I edited my post. Sorry about that! I guess the macrumors document is incorrect. The only bit that worries me is that the fans kick on when I run the 4k display and my MBP open. Curious if both displays would cause that too.

15. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It's consistent with the equivalent Apple document. Which is also incorrect...

16. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

Thank you everyone for your input. I went the Asus after much hesitation. I must say, I've never been so pleased with a monitor before.

I hate buying iPad and monitors because of the screen lottery (uneven backlighting, backlight bleed, yellowing, inconsistent color across the screen, etc.). This monitor is (to my eyes) perfect. I even set a white background to check it (because I assumed there had to be some flaw) and it's a nice even white. No yelling along the edges and consistent blacks.

Also, for anyone who sees this in the future, HDMI runs this at 60Hz fine, but since I bought a $15 mDP to DP cable, I'm just using that and saving the HDMI for another monitor.

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then get a cheaper 1080 monitor that can turn you turn it portrait for social accounts that constantly run! So you could working away on the nice monitor and either Messages, Twitter or Facebook Messenger on it constantly!