27 3.4 Fusion iMac freezes with strange screen images

runesig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Hi guys,

After a download update of Logic Pro X my iMac freezes and will no longer work. Logic was downloading some files and I forgot everything about the computer for maybe a day. When I woke the machine up again I was promoted for my credentials to finish the installation, but then everything freezes. I am able to reach the files through shared files on my Macbook Pro land copy them to an external disk. Also screen sharing kind of works, but it show the exact same weird image as the screen on the iMac. Fortunately, I do also have Time machine backup.

Any ideas what this could be? Hardware or software?

Attachments

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
Hi guys,

After a download update of Logic Pro X my iMac freezes and will no longer work. Logic was downloading some files and I forgot everything about the computer for maybe a day. When I woke the machine up again I was promoted for my credentials to finish the installation, but then everything freezes. I am able to reach the files through shared files on my Macbook Pro land copy them to an external disk. Also screen sharing kind of works, but it show the exact same weird image as the screen on the iMac. Fortunately, I do also have Time machine backup.

Any ideas what this could be? Hardware or software?
Looks like hardware to me, just based on the pattern.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I had very similar screen freezes on my 2009 iMac. I emailed photos of the screen to tech support and they very quickly answered back graphics card failure. They replaced the card and it ran perfectly after that.

runesig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
OK, thanks guys seems like I have to take it to a tech.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.