27" 4K display for 15" rMBP that can also be used for cable TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by convergent, Aug 1, 2016.

1. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

My daughter is headed back to college in a week and just got a new 15" rMBP. She was wanting to get an LCD TV, but my suggestion to her was that instead she get a 27" 4K monitor for her rMBP, and then use the HDMI port to attach either a cable box or DVD player (or both if there are 2 HDMI ports). This would take up less space in her room.

After thinking about this for a while, I am now wondering about sound in this setup. I'm assuming that if the display has speakers, then it would work fine... but if not, then seems like it would get complicated and messy to deal with. She needs a simple setup. She's a Graphics Design student, so quality of the display is very important as well.

Any advice on how to get this to work.

2. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

I own one of the Dell P2715Q and I'm a happy customer :)
    She will do fine with one of those, Apple doesn't seem to release it's own 4K monitor soon and at this price as Dell cost, only in our dreams...

I hope this helps.

3. convergent thread starter macrumors 68030

convergent

I've looked at that one, but without internal speakers how would a cable box or DVD player attached via HDMI get sound out? Is their a headphone jack that she can just attach speakers to? Dell has a 28" with internal speakers that have gotten good reviews, but its a TN panel vs. IPS... still got very good reviews.

4. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

If you check the "Tech Specs" tab on that page you will see this:

Connectivity
    DisplayPort in
    Mini DisplayPort
    DisplayPort out
    HDMI (MHL)
    Speaker-line out
    4 x USB 3.0 downstream
    1 x USB upstream
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    Also if you scroll down the page you will see this:

[​IMG]

Dell Soundbar – AC511
    Get stereo surround sound with the Dell soundbar.
    Snap it snugly onto the bottom of the monitor
    to enjoy high-quality audio.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- There is regular 3.5mm line out as mentioned. But the soundbar is bad. Avoid it.

6. convergent thread starter macrumors 68030

convergent

We ended up getting an LG UD2768 from Best Buy which is on sale for $399 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27-i...-monitor/4922001.p?id=bb4922001&skuId=4922001

It has two HDMI ports which will allow my daughter to have a cable box and DVD player attached, as well as her MacBook Pro. And the LG IPS panels are always good.

The question I had originally asked I now have answered. Most of the 4K monitors have an audio output jack on them, and I just hooked computer speakers to that jack. Audio comes through either the HDMI or Displayport cable and then through the speakers fine. That was the thing that I was confused about... but now the mystery is solved and my question seems kind of dumb now in retrospect.

7. convergent thread starter macrumors 68030

convergent

So my my daughter was off to college last weekend, so wanted to report back. I think this LG display that we bought is a great college apartment or dorm display... if you are looking for something 4K. With the 2 HDMI + 1 Mini DP; its a great setup. She has a DVD player and cable box hooked to the two HDMI ports, and the MacBook Pro hooked to the Mini DP. There is a joystick type button right at the bottom center of the screen which allows you to quickly switch between inputs. The only thing that would be better is if it had a remote; so that I could program a universal to control everything. But, that's not the end of the world. Since its college time, I thought others might be looking for something like this for their dorm or apartment.