27'' Cinema Display @ Currys for £733.97

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by redshovel, Jul 4, 2011.

1. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Noticed this rather bizarre listing on the Currys Website
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/r/cinema%20display/0_0_0/

They are out of stock and you cant even reserve on the site but while I was at the 'Sprucefield Store, Lisburn, Northern Ireland', yesterday they did indeed have them for sale @ £733.97

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Weird! Maybe clearing old stock before a refresh?

3. zebi macrumors member

I'm tempted...

I am quite tempted by the offer - seen it at PCWorld in Sprucefield of all places... at the same price about a month ago. Although I think that the new one will have Thunderbolt and facetime HD support which are worth waiting for....

4. Grolsch30 macrumors member

I think the .97 pence indicates that the product is a (or to be discontinued), model.

Here is hoping for a new refresh very soon then, as I have been holding out for a new ACD 27 for a jolly good few months now!

5. ascender macrumors 68000

I think even with TB and an uprated cam coming I'd be interested in a 27" at that price as I'm looking to replace my iMac with a laptop and cinema display. Thanks for the heads up, will have a look round local stores.

6. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

I purchased mine a couple of weeks ago for £733 at PC World in Cambridge. They had two left at the time. I asked whether they were reduced because they were due for a refresh and they said yes...... The discount was worth it for me though :)

7. redshovel thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

I purchased a 27'' Cinema Display at the start of June. I got it via Higher Education discount at a price approaching that of this Currys / PC World offer - otherwise if I had paid full price I would have been gutted right now.
    I thought a refresh would be sometime off as the current version is Thunderbolt compatible - be it at the end of the chain. However this deal is a sign a refresh could just be around the corner!

8. nawazsumar macrumors newbie

Do we really think Currys in the UK would have inside information about an Apple product refresh before most the other sources that usually report on this sort of thing?

I have a feeling that Currys may be discountinuing selling the Cinema display (dont see them selling too many), as appose to the Cinema display being discountinued/refreshed itself.

Yes a Thunderbolt hub display would be awesome, but I dont see Apple in a hurry to update.

9. HCEG macrumors newbie

Just FYI - Currys have always used 97p on the end of a product's price to show staff that this is being discontinued.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the product is being refreshed or discontinued from a manufacturer's line, merely that Curry's are no longer going to be stocking it.

Hope that helps? :)

10. nawazsumar macrumors newbie

I pulled the trigger on one on Monday, its coming on Friday.

I cant make my mind up about whether to keep it or return it due to the new ones.

I dont really have many peripherals, and if I do go with a dual monitor setup on day I could use this as the second/end one I presume. I have a 13" MBP with thunderbolt, which isnt gonna drive two monitors anyway.

11. zebi macrumors member

I bought one last Friday - returned it today though :). Will get the new one when it comes out - think the facetime HD and extra ports will come in handy!