27" imac screen dead 2 months out of warranty! advice on options plse

Discussion in 'iMac' started by madeirabhoy, Nov 13, 2015.

  1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2012
    long saga with my imac, its a 27" 2011 model, screen was flickering and switching off. wasnt too upset as its a model with a known graphics card problem and apple said they'd cover it if it was specifically that...

    except its not. just went to pick it up, repair shop said nothing wrong with it, software...i said its definitely not, so we plugged it in and they let me play with it. within 10 mins screen problems..thank god i thought.

    except it passes the apple specific test. so he says one easy way to tell, if we plug in an external screen and it works then its definitely the screen, if its the graphics card the external screen wont work. plugs in another screen, it works :( preferences says it cant even see the imac screen.

    so... options...

    1. is it worth me phoning apple and pleading /shouting...its 2 months out of its 2 year warranty.
    2. they can replace the screen but its €650 for screen and cables. its an old machine (i bought it ex demo) and the repair guy has a point in saying i could spend €650 and 2 months down the line something else goes wrong.
    3. i can pay €70 for new cables in case its them, but the guy thinks thats wasting money as its unlikely to be the cables and if it isnt he cant return them.
    4. buy a new imac on finance.
    5. his best suggestion, pay 200 euro for another monitor and run it off that.

    thoughts appreciated? at the minute i just feel sick.
  2. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I'd contact apple and politely discuss your options, who knows they may cover the cost to fix it (or heavily discount the cost). Do not shout, argue or demand, no matter what. That will be an instant recipe of getting denied.

    I'd not look to buy a new iMac at this point, but see if you can get this fixed.
  3. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2012
    on hold waiting for a senior adviser. fingers crossed.
  4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a


    Sep 1, 2007
    try apple. if no,luck, use an external monitor.
  5. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2012
    :apple::apple::apple:woo woo woo.

    spoke to senior adviser, he was pretty downbeat about my chances but said he would phone worten. he called me back half an hour later, he couldnt get through to worten but as good will, they would cover the screen cost if i covered the cables and any fitting costs. so apple are paying €600 and ive got to pay about €70.

    so pleased and so relieved :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:
  6. firedept macrumors 603


    Jul 8, 2011
    This is awesome. Very good of Apple to do this. On occasions, Apple really steps up to the plate for situations just like yours.

Share This Page

5 November 13, 2015