27 imac with 16gb ram or 15 MBP with 8GB & SSD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2457245, Apr 24, 2010.

1. 2457245 Suspended

Ok hey guys,
    I have just made a fair bit of dosh developing iphone apps and want to splurge on a new mac for myself.
    I want this system to last me a long time so i am going top of the line on every aspect.
    But i cannot decide on one thing... should i get the i7 27 inch imac with 16GB ram and the 2TB 7200 rpm HD
    OR
    the i7 MBP with 8GB ram but the 512GB SSD
    HD space does not really matter 512GB will be sufficent really but I have been watching a few videos and have seen that the SSD on the MBP make it Freaking amazingly fast.
    I do quite like the portablity of the MBPbut i can live without it
    However the imac has twice the ram so will that sort of balance things out.
    Also are there many merchants willing to change the HD in an imac for a SSD?
    Money is not too big an issue as long as it is below around £4000 GBP
    I want this system to last me so i want to be sure of my decision.

Thanks
    Dodge901

2. germanix macrumors member

I wish I had your problems mate. If I had that kind of money to spare I would treat myself to the best of both worlds. The new 15" 2,4 Ghz machine is faster than the "old" 2,8 Ghz 15" machine it replaces. The Imac i5 can handle anything you can throw at it. In your shoes I would settle for lesser but still excellent specs and get both, but if that is not your way of thinking I suppose it all depends what your needs are. I do 90% of my work at home so I bought a iMac 2,66 "4" last year. I did not have any money left for a MacBook which I also need on a daily basis so instead I am using a very old Sony Viao running Linux Mint when I need to go mobile. If and when I can afford it I would very much like to get the 27" Imac but the i7 would be an overkill for me. It would mostly just idle on my desk as I do not need all that power for what I do and the 15" cheapest MacBook will do everything that I need it to do.. The best specs are not always the wisest choice. Forgive me for mentioning this but an old saying goes "a fool and his money are soon parted". I am sure you are no fool so you will make the wise decision in the end. ;)

3. 2457245 thread starter Suspended

rvcyv

Lmao yea it is a nice situation, but i know what your saying buti really want this mac to last me maybe 10 years so i really want 1 uber-powerful machine. I am swung toward the imac but i have seen videos and the ssd makes it so fast.
    Does anyone out there have a mbp with the ssd can they tell me if it is really as fast as it seems. And can anyone with the new i7 imac tell me what they think.
    I am kinda impatientent with things opeining and i like it to be instant. I also like to have the best so this is why i am trying to get both sides of the story.
    Thank you for your reply also :) :):D

4. Raje macrumors member

If you just want the MBP for the ssd you cna buy and easily install an SSD in an iMac. Personally I would not buy an SSD yet as you might be kicking yourself pretty soon. Intel is working on 25nm SSDs which will hold twice as much data for the same price and have write times of 200mb/s about 100mb/s faster than most of today's SSDs Here is the article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2928

If you don't need the portability I would buy the 27" iMac with whatever harddrive wait for the new SSDs, buy one, install it, and by an external enclosure for the hard drive that was in the iMac.

5. Jonny1989 macrumors member

what app did you make? if you dont mind me asking. :D

6. newmacboyoutube macrumors member

How about an in-between

i7 iMac, 1TB 7200 HDD, 8GB RAM with a 32GB iPad (For portability), now you have money left over for a bigger, CHEAPER, external HDD, and everything else. Right now, I hardly doubt you would need ALL of 16GB RAM, 8GB would be more than sufficient

7. 2457245 thread starter Suspended

thds

Thanks again for more replys
    So you guys are saying to go for the imac then?
    I see you can get external SSD this may sound dumb but can i run programs from an external ssd through firewire or will they run like poo :D
    I am not too confortable about cracking open my brand ew imac to change the HD however if i brought it too an apple store would they do it for me? or is it not aloud by :apple: ?

thanks

8. Raje macrumors member

They might, but they would charge a pretty penny. It is fairly easy and I recommend doing it yourself, just stay off carpet and other sources that could cause a buildup of static electricity. I am not sure about the iMacs but the MB/P have directions on them on how to change the hdd and RAM

9. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Hands down, the high-end 15" MBP with SSD. My dream machine.

10. mst0192 macrumors member

i would get

1) the high-end 27"
    - processor: not sure, additional 200 worth the speed?
    - ram: order 4g, add 2x2gb on your own
    - hd: 1tb, replace it with ssd on your own (in case you prefer speed over space)

2) dell vostro a90 / dell mini 9 / dell mini 10v

11. darren.miller18 macrumors newbie

12. 2457245 thread starter Suspended

Thanks again:D

Loving the replys giving me a clearer picture of what to do.
    I notice the ram is only 1066MHz does anyone know where i could maybe get more powerful ram like 2064MHz or whatever the highest one is.
    can someone maybe post a link to some ram that would fit. Also how openable is the mbp does it have an easy access door like most pcs or is it a bugger to get into like my little mini :D :p
    Cheers