Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CochlearArch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Hello good Mac people,

I have a 27 inch 2013 iMac that I would like to use with a 2nd monitor. I also have a Windows 8 Toshiba laptop that I would like to connect to a large touchscreen monitor.

I have poor vision and the large monitors are a godsend for me.

Have any of you used the iMac with this Planar Helium touchscreen monitor?

Does anyone know how to make the connection to the iMac?

Eventually (later this year) I would like to get a Macbook or Macbook Pro and use with a 2nd monitor and I am hoping this combination will work. Feel free to make your own suggestions as well.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
You realize that OSX doesn't support touchscreen right? Even if you can hook it up you're only going to be able to use it as a display, since there's no OS support for the touch functionality.

If you look at the specifications you'll see that Windows 7 and 8 are the only OS's supported for that.
http://www.planaronline.com/specs/?id=997-6848-00

CochlearArch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Thank you for your post Ccrew,

Yes I am aware of the fact that the iMac does not have touch capability. This is a choice of economy. With Glaucoma and Uveitis I require a large screen. With one purchase I can have a 2nd large screen for the Mac and a large touch screen for the 15 inch Windows 8 laptop. At work we all have dual 21 inch wide screens suspended over our workstations. I wish I could afford to get two screens one for the Mac and one for the laptop but I cannot justify the expense.

Magnification even on a 27 inch screen goes a long way for a person with my vision.

Just looking for feedback on the screen itself and the connection process. Other options would be Acer and Dell. I do not want to call the Geek Squad but I might have to.

Thanks again for your time Ccrew.

CochlearArch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Okay.... I get it. The OS for the Mac will not work on that monitor.

Thanks Ccrew you just saved me a lot of money and frustration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.