27" Ultrafine monitor - alternative connections

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mds1256, Mar 18, 2017.

1. mds1256 macrumors regular

Looking at the 27 inch lg ultrafine monitor to go with my 13" TB MacBook Pro.

However there are time when I need to plug in other devices to my monitor via VGA, DVI and HDMI.

Is there any converter devices to convert them connections to USB-C so I can use this monitor with my other devices.

2. slaWter macrumors member

slaWter

If you need to connect other, non Thunderbolt devices, this is not the display for you.

3. mds1256 thread starter macrumors regular

Shame as the quality of the picture is great.

I was looking at the LG 27UD88 as it has more connection types but running scaled at 1440p I have read that some of the text can be blurry?

4. slaWter macrumors member

slaWter

It's the same with any display, if you don't run it at it's native resolution, the picture is not as sharp.
    If you just need to connect a lower res source every once in a while, I'm sure you can deal with it.

5. mds1256 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it would be ok for the occations when I need to connect other devices but running 1440 scaled on my MacBook Pro full time may be annoying if some of the text is blurry?

6. slaWter macrumors member

slaWter

But why would you use 1440p on a 4K display with a 2016 MBP?

7. mds1256 thread starter macrumors regular

It's the scaled version not the actual output, output will always be 4K but macOS will allow you to scale 1440 so it's usable

8. slaWter macrumors member

slaWter

Ah you mean the HiDPI Retina-style modes. While I can't tell you how it'll look exactly, I'd don't expect it to be that blurry. On my MacBook Pros I have been using the More Space Option since 2012. While it is less sharp than the proper Retina setting, it's still very good and much more useable.
    I'm sure you'll find proper user feedback on here about these settings.

9. mds1256 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah HiDPI, sorry should have been clearer. I'll have a read about and see what I can find, would love the 5k monitor though!

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Have you considered the 4k LG 27UD68-P? A Member here just purchased a refurb unit of it, so you might be able to get it for as little as 1/3 the price of the 5k, and be able to use all of the connections you have?