2A Protest

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Aug 22, 2013.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

For the record, I am not anti gun. I am anti gun nut.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Irrespective of my opinions regarding the gun issue...as a coffee freak, I suggest that everyone skip Starbucks every day.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Oh, are they calling that stuff "coffee"? That is a stretch.

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

The vast majority of Americans just want a little common sense gun control, they don't care about protest about guns one way or the other.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agreed. I'd have a lot more respect if they just honestly admitted that they're willing to trade the lives of people for their desire to own a gun.

Instead we get the most bizarre rationalizations and obfuscations intended to justify their possession ... and in some cases out-and-out obsession with firearms.

7. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

This isn't an attack on you and sorry I am not trying to be condescending.

A lot of Americans, I don't know if it is fair to say "most" don't know the difference between a semi-auto and a full-auto firearm or can't tell the difference between an assault rifle and a hunting rifle.

They want common sense gun control but know so little about firearms they want laws that do nothing but harm legal gun owners. The TV is not a good place to learn about firearms. Any death is bad but the media isn't helping by spreading half truths and lies.

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Naw your good.

That's my point, your right they don't know. So why would anyone care about a gun protest on either side? Sure some do, but the vast majority don't.

I think the universal background check isn't such a bad thing, its what most people want. If you have nothing to hide you'll pass that check just fine.

Your right, the media does spread half truths, just not about guns, but about everything.

Lots of people seem to freak out about the AR15.

But, its a ****** gun anyway! So let em ban it!

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is irrelevant.

They know the fact that matters: guns shoot bullets, and bullets kill people.

You don't have to be an expert marksman to know that guns should at least be regulated and licensed as much as cars, and presently they aren't.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I really hate to break this news to the gun enthusiasts out there. But most liberal/democratic people don't - on a day to day basis - really spend that much time obsessing about guns. We've got other things to worry about.

Like the alarming rise of economic inequality in our country. The continuing stain of racism. The real threats to our liberty posed by an increasingly technologically powerful surveillance state. Or the looming ecological catastrophe of global warming.

Yes: We wish you idiots wouldn't walk around Wal-Mart with an AR-15 strapped to your back. But we're also smart enough to know that, annoying as that sort of behavior might be, its not really significant threat to the continued existence of humanity as a species.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly.

You don't need to be able to know the difference between a carburetor and a fuel injector in order to regulate cars.

It's just a barrier that gun advocates would like to erect, that you have to possess a certain amount of knowledge in order to regulate guns.

No. All we need to do is count the bodies.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

This is 100% truth.

But you know what else is 100% truth? It's that the NRA and republicans never give any compromise to anything gun related. So any ignorance about weapons doesn't matter since the republicans and NRA will do their best to allow an "anything goes" attitude with guns.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is a perfect way to put it.

All my friends think I'm anti-gun even though I own probably more guns than all of them combined. I'm just very safe with them, I'm for stronger background checks and keeping guns away from mentally unstable people.

I'm also for keeping your guns locked up so children can't get them but somehow that makes me anti-gun.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Its not even just liberal democrats. Moderate conservatives don't care either.

All everyone wants its better gun control and a little bit better background checks.

There is no major movement in the USA to repeal the second amendment.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Can we please repeat this for clarity?

There is no major movement in the USA to repeal the second amendment.

Thank you.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I agree 100% with this.

I've been called anti gun, but I probably own I think, over 28,000 dollars in historic firearms. As well as a modern shotgun I use for home defense just in case. And not to sound gun nut, I carry a Beretta 9MM in some really bad neighborhoods that some old friends still live in. That weapon does not get pulled out often.

But I want background checks, and I'm anti gun apparently :rolleyes:

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yes. 100%.

Funny the same party who whine that people who don't know enough about guns want to put restrictions on them has no problem having a bunch of old white guys trying to place more restrictions on a woman's vagina.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Glad to see we still have some sane gun owners in this country. Unfortunately the vocal minority is trying to ruin it for normal people like you guys.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

In another similar thread recently, some members were complaining about politicians passing laws on things they didn't know about intimately.

It was expressed that laws should only be written by the people who do know the most about the things they are seeking to regulate.

And who would those people be?

Lobbyists.

Legislation written by and for lobbyists would be the worst thing for the people of this country, and could help to explain why we're in the sad state that we are today.

19. localoid, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It begs the musical question...

Does it really matter whether you're killed by a shotgun, a drone, a flamethrower, the NSA, or a left wing website?

20. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Why?

>

----------

How many of your guns did you buy without a background check? And if there were any, was it prior to the deployment of the NCIS system?

>

----------

There definitely isn't, just an attempt to hollow it out bit-by-bit.

>

----------

Maybe not, but you should at least know the difference between a passenger car, a NASCAR stock car, a motorcycle, a public bus and, a trailer-truck.

>

21. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

If you want to argue semantics you are correct no one has tried to repeal the second amendment but in the last 45 years Federal and State politicians have tried to outlaw almost every type of firearm on some level.

If we don't fight for our Rights the outcome will be the same.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Don't you think there might be a reason for that? These politicians are voted in by the people. They make these regulations because the majority of the people want them.

Something tells me you need to step out of the sticks in Alaska and spend some time in civilization and you might have a better understanding of why most sensible people are in favor of more restrictions, getting rid of semi-automatic assault rifles, increasing licensing and background checks, etc. For example, there is ZERO reason anyone in the Northeast megalopolis I live in needs an AR-15. There is no good that can come of it.

What the hell possible use could a 50 year old suburban mom in Newtown, CT need an AR-15 for? Squirrel hunting? We don't have polar bears here.

23. chown33 macrumors 604

As a protest, you should carry an open cup of Starbucks into a gun shop.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Considering the levels of obesity in this country, hopefully all those moms not going till Starbucks will cut a few calories.

That's something moms should be demanding action on.

Muffin tops will kill more people than guns this year.

http://www.romans322.com/daily-death-rate-statistics.php

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you go back 45 years and look at all the laws proposed by any federal or state politician regarding anything, you could create justification for saying "They are trying to ban [fill in the blank]!"

Your justification is overly broad and therefore meaningless.

----------

Again, a very bizarre comparison.

How many people were murdered by muffin tops?

How many people were robbed at muffin top point?

Gun advocates will go to great lengths to try to move the conversation away from the damage done by firearms.