2days till WWDC...should i buy a 2.0 macbook unibody on special?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macjack88, Jun 6, 2009.

  1. macjack88 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    #1
    Please help me with this decision...i have been offered a further $80 off the regular student discount price on a new 2.0 unibody macbook.
    My desktop is used for gaming so the macbook will be used for typing, movies, music etc (I'd also like to use the macbook for when diablo3 comes out.)
    im not too concerned about the backlit keyboard.

    Will it be worth waiting untill after the WWDC for "POSSIBLE" macbook updates?
    It's not essential that i have it now, but i will be wanting one by mid-july.
    Does this discount warrant me buying it now?

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks allot
     
  2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #2
    If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't, wait.

    WWDC starts in two days. You already have a desktop. You don't really need one until July. You're using it for light weight stuff that any apple portable should be able to handle.

    Hmm, let me think about my answer...
     
  3. adm531 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    #3
    i'm in the same position and i am going to wait just a couple of days. theres a good chance that apple bumps up the specs on the unibody macbooks to bring them ahead of the white macbook.

    I just have on question. If apple does update the macbooks, when will the new versions be released? two days? two months?
     
  4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #4
    If they do bump up the chips, it will probably be immediately. After all, apple apparently does have them in stock.

    If they also do that, you may find a good deal on a current 2.0 at a best buy or off of craigslist. I doubt that even Mr. Data could tell the difference between surfing the web on a 2.0 versus a 2.13...
     
  5. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

    u49aa2

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Location:
    Between Heaven and Hell
    #5
    Similar position in term of the date i need the MBA. From what i heard through few forums , it is very unlikely they will improve the spec of any of the unibodies, the conference will be about iphone and SL. Some people say that from previous experiences, apple some times release the new lines 2 weeks after WWDC. So my advise is to wait until 1-2 weeks after the conference and if nothings comes, then buy as it won't be until after school promotion ends before anything comes.
     
  6. fpar macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #6
    Buy it, just don't open it. If the update happens you could always return it as long as the box is still sealed.
     
  7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #7
    Apple uses the back to school special to clear out back stock of current macs and ipods. I'd expect them to bump the specs after that, to encourage sales before the holiday shopping season.
     
  8. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

    zw-gator

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #8
    Someone on this form posted this:

    Apple is waiting for the 2.0's to clear out and then they'll update them. It's been 8+ months since a spec update, I doubt Apple will wait a full year to update them.

    Not to mention it's going to be tough to sell a slower computer for $300 more. it doesn't really matter if there is little "real world" difference. 90% of customers are going to see that 2.13 > 2.0 + $300 less and go with the whitebook option.
     
  9. gan6660 macrumors 65816

    gan6660

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2008
    #9
    I think at WWDC Apple will change all unibody notebooks over to macbook pros. Why would they be selling a plastic low end macbook with higher specs than the higher-end unibody line? Also if it was just a spec update why not do it at the same time as the whitebook?
     
  10. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

    Zazoh

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2009
    Location:
    Mico, Texas
    #10
    If it is what you need go for it. Don't get caught in a trap of waiting for the latest and greatest there will ALWAYS be something better.
     
  11. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #11
    We are talking about 2 days of waiting. I think you would be dumb not to wait
     
  12. rugox macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #12
    There might not even be any release or update regarding the macbooks at WWDC.
     
  13. c.dub macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    #13
    This.


    The focus for WWDC is Snow Leopard and the new iPhone. If they do announce any updates for the Unibody MacBook and Pro, it would come as a big surprise. Everyone always makes a big deal right before an event, then are upset Apple didn't release something they wanted.

    If you need one, buy it. You have a 14 days return policy (with restocking fee at some places). It sounds like you don't actually NEED one though. Wait it out just in case, but I would say just order one. Any updates would most likely be around October (after BTS promo is done) in my opinion.
     
  14. tayshon macrumors 6502a

    tayshon

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    Location:
    Philly, PA
    #14
    It only a couple days away, then you can make up our mind.
     
  15. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    Location:
    The good side of the grass.
    #15
    I vote for waiting. You can always buy it after WWDC. With the recent update to the white MB, I think it looks more likely the AluMB will be updated in short order. Especially since the white MB now outperforms its more costly 2GHz brethren. The longer you wait the more likely you are going to get the updated display too.
     
  16. jwpoore macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Sheffield, England
    #16
    wait

    you may as well wait just to see what happens at the WWDC, most likely there wont be any notebook upgrades but it would be worth waiting incase apple surprises us!
     
  17. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

    RiCEADDiCTBOY

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2007
    #17
    i say get it if you need it. save some money on a great product. any form of update would be minor if anything. people keep expecting something dramatic and they are just wishing on nothing but hopes and dreams. even with the eventual speed bump - in real world performance - its neglibile at best. don't sweat it and take it.
     

Share This Page