2Gb of RAM vs. 3Gb of RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yurtra, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Yurtra macrumors member

I'm going to be adding RAM to my iMac soon, and I was just wondering about something...

Should I be upgrading to 2GB or RAM so that I can have matching pairs of 1GB sticks, or should I go all out for the 3GB? The price difference doesn't mean much if the performance boost will be significant enough.

The only problem I see is the dual-channel thing. Is the boost from that enough to offset the extra Gb of RAM? In other words, will my system run FASTER with the 1Gb, or will it not make a big difference due to the fact that I'll be losing the dual-channel benefits?

I use my computer mostly for listening to music, surfing the internet, email, making home movies and the occasional game. I may eventually end up using it for things like recording music and I am currently teaching myself how to use Photoshop, so my RAM needs will PROBABLY be growing.

I'm just wondering what you guys suggest, especially with Leopard coming and all.

Thanks a lot!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

OWC did some testing on the MacBook and found the increased RAM offset the loss of dual channel but not by much. Dual channel particularly helps with the GMA950 graphics card. If you have the X1600, 3GB would definitely be the way to go. Which model of iMac do you have?

3. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

I have the Nvidia 7300GT...same idea, I would imagine?

Also, it's not possible to get an Apple technician to replace it with a 7600GT, is it? It's not that I need it or anything, but it would be nice to have for the future.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

So, I suppose the question remains...

Is it worth it? Will I notice the difference?

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

In Photoshop, music/video editing, games, AND if you run Windblows, YES you will definitely notice the difference, assumming you know how to configure the apps to utilize it properly :p

In everything else, it won't make that much difference.

Leopard = new version = more ram required, as it has been since 10.1 and counting.......