2GHz G3's!?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
2nd May, 2001. Slightly out of date :)

I don't think the G3 will ever see 2 GHz. If it does, apple will have G5s by that time, and that would seem like buying a PII now. It's psychologicly slow.

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
holy crap

holy crap 1964 posts!! loel anyway about these new g3's i dont really think apple will use them - certainly not in top end macs - possably in ibooks if they run cool? i wanna see this g5 cmon apple!!!

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
yay, my 200th post:) Wow, I only post 2 times a day.

Back to the point

It is out of date, but I wouldnt be surprised if the iBook stayed G3 for another 1 to 2 years and got one of those processors

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
G5 chip

I found this link in the IBM research site. It talks about IBM's 64-bit Power PC chip running at 1.15 GHz. The article doesn't have a date. I'm assuming it's at least a little old because it's built with .22 micron layers, and uses 112 watts! (seems like a lot).

Rivina 1.15 GHz 64-bit PowerPC Processor

The chip is obviously for servers, but at least we know a 64-bit GHz+ PowerPC chip exists, or has existed. I thought it was interesting that it only has a 6 stage pipeline. Don't the G4's have an 8 stage?

I would have made a new thread with this, but, sadly, I can't yet.

Arn, where's the love, man? :D ;)

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: G5 chip

Originally posted by iH8Quark
The chip is obviously for servers, but at least we know a 64-bit GHz+ PowerPC chip exists, or has existed. I thought it was interesting that it only has a 6 stage pipeline. Don't the G4's have an 8 stage?

I would have made a new thread with this, but, sadly, I can't yet.

Arn, where's the love, man? :D ;)
G4's have a 7 stage pipeline.

I am not sure where arn has put his love.

Chris

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Re: holy crap

Originally posted by xelterran
holy crap 1964 posts!! loel anyway about these new g3's i dont really think apple will use them - certainly not in top end macs - possably in ibooks if they run cool? i wanna see this g5 cmon apple!!!
There's stuff in the article about AltiVec-smilar technologies used and it also says 2GHz+...there's also stuff about other technology...isn't the G5 800MHz -2GHz? Anyway, what if they rebrand this as a G4 and Apple dumps the Motorola G4 for this and uses it in their iBooks and iMacs?Then we could have tehe pro G5's with G4's still a formadiable force in the market place..anyone understand my ramblings?