2nd Amendment was only for muskets, you say?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Mar 29, 2014.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

When they penned the 2nd Amendment they were only talking about muskets, Right?
    No one is trying to take all guns away, Right?
    Clearly we all know the 2nd Amendment has "limits" but muzzleloaders surely must be protected under the 2nd Amendment after all they are single shot AND take anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute to reload...

Well this guy didn't get convicted of possessing a muzzleloader, he got convicted of possessing muzzleloader bullets!! For people who don't know what these are, they are just pieces of metal no gun power(no bang).

"District of Columbia judge found Mark Witaschek guilty of “attempted possession of unlawful ammunition” for antique replica muzzleloader bullets."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/26/miller-exclusive-shock-verdict-mark-witaschek-guil/#ixzz2x6eJ8ShP

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What makes it unlawful?

This case does seem to be a little overboard, is there more to it? Or is DC just making an example out of this guy.

3. jonbravo77, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

So here is an expanded story to this guy brought to trial. TBH I do not know much about this web site I found this on but here is the link: http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/02/12/how-a-man-accused-of-threatening-his-wife-with/198027

In a search for a website that I knew more of they all say that the police have visited his house before but they don't say anything about what the above link says, just harps on the ammo issue and the SWAT style tactic the police used. So at this point you will have to draw your own conclusions.

Addition: The only thing I can think of is the shotgun he had may not have been a "registered" firearm according to D.C. law (which I do not live in D.C. so I do not know the law) and I believe depending on age of the muskets they may have needed to be registered as well. To much un-explained facts here to be able to determine why this guy was possibly targeted..

4. lostngone, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

We need someone from DC to comment because I really don't know the law they busted him with.

I think they got him because he poured hot lead into a bullet shaped mold(see pic) rather then a ball shaped mold. So they calmed he had intent on loading it into a cartridge and then it would have been illegal. It is silly because if you wanted you could do the same with a ball.

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    Doing a little research, it appears it is illegal in DC to own ammunition for guns if you are not licensed to own them. I see flaws with this, in this case.

1. These are just pieces of metal(lead?), no powered, no cartridge, etc.
    2. In D.C. not all types of Muskets have to be registered. I am sure if he had one of these types they would have nailed him for it not being registered.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

As a firm believer that gun ownership should be regulated, this definitely goes overboard.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

So being in possession of lead balls is a crime? Who knew?

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Washington Times. Enough said.

Shock and awe, and over sensationalized in the process. Sorry, not buying it.

Report back with this story from a credible news source, then we'll talk. Until then, you've sensationalized the already over sensational.

BL.

8. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

As per rules, I posted a source. If you don't like it, why did you even bother posting?

9. Andeavor macrumors 6502

So... life sentence for Chuck Norris?

10. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

The ATF has declared that shoelaces can be machine-gun parts and pot scrubbers can be illegal silencers.

11. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I know the shoe lace story but not the pot scrubber story?

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it is them going a bit overboard, but this law looks like it was written to avoid a lot of the loopholes that open up with trying to be too specific

It does look like the search was triggered by an accusation of domestic violence which while that was later thrown out I can't fault the police too much for being careful since as far as they knew at the time of the search there was a threat to someone.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...essman-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/?page=all

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So the DA is a bully and not good at his job. This sounds a lot like a corrupt force

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm trying to think ... how many round pieces of metal do I have that are made to fit a musket barrel ... that could be loaded into a musket and propelled through the barrel to serve as potentially lethal bullet.

Sorry. Can't think of one.

I guess your guy was just unlucky to have those round pieces of metal in his home .... one's that would properly fit a musket and serve as bullets.

Such bad luck.

:rolleyes:

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I have a number of household items containing steel ball bearings. Such as could be loaded into a muzzle loaded weapon and fired shotgun style. There are plenty of other things that could be used in a similar fashion.

Now you'll have to excuse me, some men claiming to be ATF agents are trying to kick in my front door.

:rolleyes:

16. citizenzen, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

citizenzen macrumors 65816

That would not work. You would still need the larger musket ball ...

Correction. This from wikipedia ...

Good luck with the ATF.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Au contraire...

Enough wadding can seal the barrel and provide enough pressure buildup to be lethal.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Got my correction in before you.

;)

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I love posts like these. I feel like the people who are "up in arms" about the ATF act like it's knocking down doors left and right. Yet somehow they seem to fall into the same party that has no problem with the "law and order" SWAT tactics becoming the normal type of policing...but only when it comes to drug enforcement.

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

There are times when you start a post and don't finish it immediately.

We'll just chalk this up to yet another person who knows nothing about guns, and is therefore scared of them.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry but what does knowing about the history, terminology, or culture of gun ownership have to do with anything?

From a physics standpoint all I see is a tube that when pointed at a person and a pull of a finger can release enough energy in such a concentrated form that it will do horrible damage to whatever it hits. With that in mind I'd like to see this country be safer about guns, especially when it comes to how they are handled in the home with children.

But in your black and white world that means I'm afraid and think al guns should be taken away right? :rolleyes:

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

1. People who know the least about guns are generally the strongest opposers of private gun ownership.

2. Can't argue there.

3. Depends on what you think getting to "safer" means/entails.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

1. Source/evidence/anything other than your own self reinforcing views as you spout your own echo-chamer views?

2. Glad we agree on the facts of physics, thats a start.

3. I'd like to see responsible gun ownership have a focus on locking guns up in the home, not this BS "my 5 year old is smart enough to know that guns can kill, I trained them right" crap I hear spouted here all the time. Kids don't have those mental capabilities, thats just a neurological fact and no amount of "I was raised right" hubris is going to change it.

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440