2nd disk keeps appearing in Favorites in Finder sidebar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Samuel Gordon, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Samuel Gordon, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

Samuel Gordon macrumors member

In my MacBook I have SSD (named Macintosh HD) mainly for operating system and HDD (named Library HDD) for data. On HDD, in root directory, I made Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures folders and in my home folder I made symlinks to those locations. I put all of these folders to the sidebar in Finder but I have a strange problem. In Favorites, "Library HD" keeps appearing although I drag it out constantly. I wasn't able to find out in which situation exactly it appears. From time to time it's just there. Veery annoying :(

I tried to remove all items from sidebar, remove preferences files (sidebar.plist and finder.plist) and of course restarting ... but nothing.

Any ideas?

2. t0mbola macrumors member

Hi there,

I have very same setup except on the Mac Mini. I am experiencing the same issue with secondary harddrive appearing in my favorites list. I found out that it reappears there when I mount a new dmg file.

Would really appreciate if anyone knows how to fix this...

3. Samuel Gordon, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

You're right. And it appears not only when you open DMG file but when there's a new item in Devices section generally (e.g. when you connect an external drive)...

I already gave up and put "Library HD" as a last in the list and I don't notice it anymore. But a solution would be nice...

4. t0mbola macrumors member

Yeah, I did the same as you mate and somehow got used to it already.

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I have the same problem but with my Lion HD. Keeps appearing in favourites when I mount something.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

By any chance do you have Dropbox? And is the Dropbox folder stored on the 'Library HDD' drive?

If so....take a look at this thread I started:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194429

I have a SSD boot....and an internal drive called 'Personal'. The Personal drive would always show up in the Favorites section no matter how many times I removed it.

Turns out it Dropbox, which I store on Personal causing it.

-Kevin

7. Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

Dropbox can be the flaw... Because I really have my Dropbox folder on the 'Library HD' drive :) OK, so maybe if I moved it back to SSD... I'll try.

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, I found and tested that if Dropbox is on a 2nd drive.....then something in Finder causes the 2nd drive itself to be added to the favorites sidebar.

If I turned Dropbox off....and told it not to auto start.....it wouldn't add itself. But once it starts.....and the machine is booted, something is causing Finder to add that drive to the favorites.

I did open a ticket with Dropbox, but haven't heard anything in a while.

-Kevin

9. Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

I did some testing and I'm not sure if it's a Dropbox fault. I moved DB to SSD. Library HD reappeared.

Second try: I quit DB, removed both DB and 'Library HD' items from the sidebar, relaunched Finder and 'Library HD' - voila, there again :)

I guess it's more Apple fault...

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Make sure you really get Library HD removed. I found that Apple is very picky about removing items from the sidebar. If you do things too quickly, it will reappear.

What I did was shut down Dropbox. I removed my Personal drive from the sidebar. I waited a few minutes....watching to see when the .plist file gets updated. I then rebooted.

In the end....to be sure I wiped all the .plist files....and rebooted (making sure again that the DB folder was not in the sidebar).

For me, it definitely DB. Since removing it from Favorites.....I haven't had my Personal drive return. It was just a pain to get it to finally get removed.

Apple has some agent or something running, that when you remove something from the sidebar....the .plist file isn't updated right away. It takes a few minutes. If you relaunch Finder BEFORE the .plist file is updated.....the item will return.

-Kevin

11. Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I see. But if I understand what you wrote correctly, you currently don't have dropbox in the sidebar, do you? Simply, if there IS dropbox, the drive appears.

Since I am used to having dropbox in that place, I must get used to having 'Library HD' there too :) Unless someone comes up with a solution...

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

No, the only way my "Personal" drive shows up in the Finder sidebar, is if I add my Dropbox folder to the sidebar as well. It's the act of adding the Dropbox folder to the sidebar that is causing the parent drive to be added as well (at least for me it is).

As long as I don't put my Dropbox folder in the Finder sidebar favorites area, then my Personal drive doesn't show up.

I've resorted to using the Dropbox menubar item in Finder windows.

FYI.....I tried creating Aliases to Dropbox and storing them on my Boot drive.....nothing worked. As long as my Dropbox folder was on any other internal drive other than my boot drive, and if it was added to the sidebar, I'd always get that Personal drive to show up.

-Kevin

13. Jared A macrumors newbie

Fantastic advice in this thread. I've been pulling my hair out all night, until I stumbled across the solution here. I too am running an SSD as the boot drive in my MacBook Pro, and also have a secondary HD in place of my optical drive, with my home folder re-mapped to the secondary HD. Since Dropbox was located in my user folder, that secondary HD kept showing up in the Favorites list, and came back every time I tried to take it out. Moved my Dropbox folder out of the sidebar, as well as the secondary HD, and voila! Problem solved!! Thanks for figuring this out!

Cheers,
    Jared

14. eXcalibre macrumors newbie

The Culpret

This is NOT caused by Dropbox as such, but the fact that you have a 'softlink' in your main drive that points to another drive and shows the parent drive in the favorites.

i also use an SSD to host my main OS (Lion) and have soft links to other drives folders (such as movies, pictures and music) as these items are now found on the other drives within my machine, finder decides to add them to the favorites menu in finders sidebar.

Still annoying though :apple:

15. jhersco macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I store downloads on a spare internal HDD. After removing the duplicate from the Favorites list in the Sidebar, opening a .dmg file on that HDD puts it back. Please define "softlink" so that I can try to find it and remove it. Thanks.

16. datkins macrumors newbie

Thank you so much kbmb

I realize it's been a while since anyone posted here, but I thought it important to express my gratitude, so I registered for the forums just to post this.

Kbmb, I had tried everything for the past few months to fix this myself, but it never occured to me that I had to wait until the plists were updated before the changes would be permanent. Genius!

What fixed it for me:

1. Quit DB
    2. Remove both DB and the 2nd drive from the favorites list by CMD+click and dragging them
    3. Go to ~/Library/Preferences and remove com.apple.finder.plist and com.apple.sidebarlists.plist
    4. Restart computer

The only thing was that I had to setup finder again to my liking, but that was a minor inconvenience compared to no longer seeing the 2nd drive showing up under my favorites!

Thanks again!

17. zambz macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've recently switched to OSX and discovered the exact same problem. I could replicate this problem on 2 separate machines running 10.8.2.

I just wanted to share my experiences with everyone and my discoveries.

Firstly, I can say with almost complete confidence that this has nothing to do with Dropbox. I cleared my Favourites, fully uninstalled Dropbox and could still reproduce the problem.

So here's my theory and workaround:

• This problem occurs when you are adding a favourite to your sidebar which resides on a non-OS drive
    • It has nothing to do with whether or not the folder has a related symlink or not
    • The problem seems to be triggered when some aspect of the folder changes which triggers the sidebar to update

The 3rd point is one of most importance. I kept wondering why I couldn't reproduce the issue while testing and as soon as I went ahead and updated the icon on one of the folders, BAM the drive appeared. Similarly, the same occurred when renaming the folder.

So here's my workaround, albiet not the best:

1. Setup the folders you want to include in your Favourites with the appropriate icon and name
    2. Remove the existing favourites relating to those folders
    3. You may run killall Finder from Terminal at this point to be sure that nothing comes back
    4. Re-add all your folders to favourites
    5. DO NOT rename them or modify their icon, if you do wish to do that, you'll need to repeat this process again

Based on my initial testing, this did the trick, but I'll be trying it out over the next week and will let you know how it goes.

As far as I can tell, the only triggers are icon and name changes but there could obviously be more, hopefully not though ...

I must say that OSX's handling of external drives and symlinks is buggy and hugely problematic. Here are some more workarounds to problems I found:

• Boring Folder Icons in Favourites: Enable colour icons in XtraFinder or install the SideEffects
    • Wallpaper Reverting to Default: Don't store your wallpapers on a non-OS drive

If there are any more gotchas that I have missed, please let me know.

Hope this helps someone out there :)
    zambz