Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
I'm having an "issue" with my 2nd. Gen. shuffle. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but I figured I'd post it here and see what I could come up with to try and fix it.

Ever since I got it about 4 or 5 months ago, when mounted in the Finder, my shuffle's name shows up in all caps. I thought that was really weird, considering my 4th Gen. and all other iPods I've had aren't like that. They show up normally, showing both uppercase and lowercase letters.

Also, when syncing in iTunes, it takes the shuffle longer to mount that all other iPods I've had. For instance, when I drag some songs onto it in iTunes, it displays the "waiting for iPod" message for a couple of seconds before it actually syncs.

I did a "Get Info" on it tonight, so that I could try and figure out a fix for it and noticed that it was formatted in FAT32. I thought that was odd, so I did some googling and found a page that said that if your iPod is formatted in FAT32, that it would cause it to be less responsive on a Mac that if it was formatted in HFS+.

I also read that you could restore the iPod on a Mac and that it would automatically format it in HFS+. Well, I tried that and it didn't work. The shuffle is still formatted in FAT32 after a restore.

Anyone know how I could format it in HFS+? I tried using Disk Utility and since the iPod ejects after it syncs in iTunes, I couldn't access it to format it in Disk Utility.

As I said, this is a minor annoyance, as the iPod performs GREAT and has amazing battery life. I just figured I'd post on here and see what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hmm. That's definitely a possibility. That would explain why it didn't format it to HFS+ when I did the restore.

I formatted an iPod shuffle fat32 using disk utility to try and restore it and now Mac OSX won't recognize it, nor WIndows. Doesn't mount, it's like it's dead. I tried various computers and nothing. Dont know what to do now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.