2nd Monitor for 27" iMac - Asus VW266H

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by robz0r, Jan 12, 2011.

1. robz0r, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

robz0r macrumors newbie

I recently ordered a 27" i7 iMac (should arrive early next week) and I am now shopping around for a second monitor for it.

I have discovered the Asus VW266H (25.5" @ 1920x1200 16:10) which is a pretty good match to the iMac in terms of size, but I'm not sure about the big resolution difference (2560 x 1440 vs 1920 x 1200).

My main concern is whether or not there will be a huge enlargement when dragging windows from one monitor to the other, and will it look blurry sitting next/compared to the iMac.

This monitor is relatively cheap AU$375 at a local store compared with monitors like the Dell U2711 (over double the price).

Does anyone have this monitor with there 27" iMac or have a similar monitor at a similar price? I'm keen for your opinions and thoughts.

Thanks.

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you'd be satisfied with the ASUS, especially when sitting beside the iMac. It has a TN panel, with the limited TN viewing angles. A common thread in reviews of this monitor is that it tends to have a bluish cast, although that might be fixed with calibration.

I notice you mention the Dell U2711 as an option. I don't know about Aussie pricing, but here in Canada the 27" ACD costs less than the normal price of the Dell. If you could afford the ACD, it would be the best match for the iMac. If you could get it on sale, the Dell would also be a good match for the iMac.

Re the ASUS VW266H, here's a link to over 600 user reviews on Newegg's site so you can form your own opinion:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

3. Moogyman macrumors newbie

Moogyman

Fellow screen for IMac

I also opted for the iMac i7 with a second screen, however in the end I went for the Apple 24" cinema screen because of shear quality.
    When looking at other screens, they seem impressive and colourful however when they sit along side the iMac I know you will notice a difference, and if you are like me, this will annoy you.
    The Apple screens although expensive offer greater gamut and are able to render subtle tones much better than their peers.
    As for the size difference, I can only speak for the Apple 24", there is a slight difference, but it's hardly noticeable in real world applications, and for palettes, inspectors, movies, tv, and most other applications second screens are used for, you will not have a problem.

There is also the added advantage with the Apple screen that it matches your fantastic iMac (which is amazing by the way) and it allows extra USB ports from the second screen.

Hope this helps