2Qs: Does Verizon throttle? And will BB honor a "New Every 2" on a bought phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tiptizzle, May 1, 2011.

1. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I bought an iPhone 4 almost a month ago at Best Buy. I had completely forgotten about the "new every two" deal from verizon and just realized I didn't get it. I see that they will honor it if you ask (from a google search), but since I didn't ask when we bought it, and my account doesn't say anything about being eligible for it now, any chance they will honor it? We bought bought my wife a droid phone on the same day, which is now free with the 2 year contract (was $50). I assume the price guarantee will cover phones from what I've read. Anyone else gotten money back on a phone?

Second question...someone at work was getting twice the bandwidth I was from their Droid phone. Both phones as 3G and both are on the Verizon network. Any chance I'm getting throttled for high bandwidth usage? A test with my wife's phone from the same server, both using the speedtest.net app also showed her phone getting twice the download rate of mine. A google search said verizon doesn't throttle, but why else would the download speed be so slow for me?

2. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

VERIZON DOES NOT THROTTLE, I know for fact :)
    allthough i bet once att fully buys t-mobile, i would expect att to start throttling data

Some Droids have dual CDMA radios/antennas on the download side, that why some droids have faster download speeds.
    Because of space constraints the VZW iphone does not use dual CDMA antennas

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Verizon does throttle as of Feb 3rd, 2011: http://www.bgr.com/2011/02/03/veriz...aviest-users-optimizing-content-starts-today/

"Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren’t negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users."

4. Tiptizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

I've never heard of that. Any way to find out which ones or if there is some other reason for the slowdown? My wife has the fascinate which I thought wasn't really high end.

My iPhone is jailbroken, but I can get 10mbps download on wifi which is what my internet connection is limited to.

5. Tiptizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I wonder how much is considered extraordinary. I would not think of myself as that extreme of a user, but I did use a lot of data very early on during this billing cycle. This speed difference was happening while I was well under 1GB of usage for the billing cycle, and I still am.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    1. No Android phone has two CDMA radios, at least that I know of. However, to meet Verizon's diversity reception requirements, they should have two antennas.

2. The Verizon iPhone supposedly also has two CDMA antennas. I haven't looked to verify this.

3. According to everything I've read, Verizon has not yet implemented the throttling code they talk about in their TOS.

7. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Droid X , Thunderbolt LTE 4G, both allow voice and data over 3G, Thunderbolt has 2 CDMA 3G radios and one LTE radio

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4240/htc-thunderbolt-review-first-verizon-4g-lte-smartphone/3

8. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

DID you bother to read VZW's followup about the throttle software/hardware is not even in place and has no plans to be in place. thus no one has been throttled on vzw, and will not be throttle in the near future.
    The message above was just a scare tactic by vzw.