2TB mobile drives (other than the 15mm WD drive), where are they?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eccentricglow, Feb 13, 2013.

1. eccentricglow macrumors member

eccentricglow

I guess this is more than sort of a first world rant than anything...

To get straight to the point - I'm running out of space on my laptop. It's been awhile since we've seen updates to mobile hard drives, other than seeing drives that are too thick to be inserted into the unibody MBP.

I have a 512GB SSD, plus a 1TB laptop drive installed. I have a lot of music, video files, and photos.

Also, the lack of adequate space is a reason why I probably won't by an rMBP quite yet. Also, the cost is in the astronomical range as well - and probably will be for some time yet. And I don't necessarily trust buying a new iMac, due to the fact that Fusion drives have issues - some people are reporting problems with how the files are stored between the two drives. I don't mind having two separate drives to manage my files.

I realize there's solutions to store files outside of the Mac, but I'm really quite fussy about having all the things in one place. And, I have a synology that I use for storage/backup as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone is having any similar stories, or care to share anything about this matter.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I just have all mine in external drive.
    Having files around isnt a problem for me so.
    And as you probably know, there is no such thing as 9.5mm 2TB drive unfortunately.

If transfer speed is your concern, Id go with Lacie 4TB Thunderbolt drive.
    I got 2 of those and three 2TB HDDs but the speed difference is significant.

3. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Does seem like we've started slowing down quite a bit with platter-based storage. SSD's are getting bigger and faster but it'll be a LONG time before large capacity SSD's are affordable. But, we've pretty much got the same drives now we had 5 years ago, they are just cheaper. 1TB 9.5mm drives have been around for years, but nothing has yet gotten any bigger, seems like we've hit the ceiling almost. There's more R&D being spent on being the first to have a cheap and big SSD, than to have a really big spinning notebook drive. Most folks who need that much storage aren't doing their work on a notebook.

There are some pretty huge SD cards out there though. Might be an option (albeit pricey), to add another 256GB of storage into your machine that's always there if you leave it in! Not idea though.

4. trikky macrumors regular

Your non essential video and audio files should be kept in an external drive. :)

Personally, I wish Toshiba would hurry up and release their 1TB Hybrid into the retail market...

5. robvas macrumors 68020

The floods probably set everything back 2 years.

6. dellavoce macrumors regular

Not sure if you're aware, but I found out that the MBP can support a drive up to 12.5mm. OWC sells a 1.5TB for the MBP that I just installed myself and I'm quite satisfied. I know it's not 2TB (what I was also looking for) but it's a little closer

7. robvas macrumors 68020

The only one 2TB 2.5" drive NewEgg has is 15mm

8. el-John-o macrumors 65816

That's a WD that came out towards the end of last year, and AFAIK, it's the only one on the market right now.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yes, there is no such thing as 9.5mm 2TB drive. I said that.

10. eccentricglow thread starter macrumors member

eccentricglow

Oh my, thank you for this tidbit of information.

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I want to upgrade to a SSD but have to have 500gb to meet my needs. I'm also unwilling to give up the optical drive. That said, there's a lot of stuff I don't need with me at all times when traveling. I keep that on my server. There's also a lot of archival information I offload to the server since it rare that I need it.

Nothing wrong with external storage.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is a matter of waiting right now. 9.5mm drives use barely 2 platters. That means that platter density must be at 1TB per platter to have a 2TB drive. Right now, we have 500GB per platter. Hence, why we have 3TB drives out there. (333GB platters also exist).

I have to add, Western Digital just came out with desktop class hard drives in the 4TB range.