3.0 makes me think no "HUGE" update to the actual iPhone this year...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Mar 17, 2009.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

please don't yell at me guys im just stating my opinion. Its just that when they mention prices and who its free too, they don't mention ooh it comes with new ipod touch and comes with new iphone that will also be out in the summer. and i know apple wouldn't release or mention a new iPhone now or until summer, but think of a reason why they would make a new iphone?

we got all the things we wanted and the fact that they specifically mentioned that MMs and ad2p or w/e its called doesn't work on iphone 2g. makes me think more and more that they will not be releasing a new iphone. I think what they might do is change the appearance maybe make the back look a little different, but i don't see them adding anything extreme with hardware, since the key note mentioned everything will work fine on the 3g iPhone.

i think we will only see a capacity bump and maybe a new back to the iphone. if even a new back or look, but mainly it will stay the same. I can bet.

Its not like apple is going to promote commercials with "oooh faster ram.... and bigger memory" that doesn't seem like a big selling point to me. I think 3g was the biggest since its the fastest network out and it will do its job until its outdated and more hardware that can actually make a difference is added.

2. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

not necessarily, they did say it was only a preview and they may be working on other things to go with 3.0. eg, they may add a camera to the front and add ichat. (please don't quote me on that though, its just a guess example) The thing is, if they were to announce things like video ichat then they would more or less be telling us what the next rev iphone was gonna include as well.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i don't think a front facing camera will ever be put in. no offense to anyone here, but honestly, why would u be webcamming on an iphone and talking to someone on iChat. What your gonna be in an airport doing that. That alone woudl kill the battery and it just doesn't make sense.

im sticking to nothing more than update space and a new design of the iphone, but no new cameras or anyting.

4. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

i do find the timing off myself. why such a big upgrade if they plan on releasing a new phone?
    do we know infact this is a software upgrade for us? or for the new iphone?

if they do release a new iphone, it better have a video feature, more powerful camera..with flash and re-designed look...or i see no point...at this point!

5. moniker macrumors member

Why would a front-mounted camera and video chat kill the battery? A front-mounted camera would also enable Apple to add support for another yet missing standard 3G service -- video calls. Hugely popular among hearing impaired who use sign language among others. I also tend to use it whenever I need to show something to others and not just describe it, although I use a Nokia mobile for that.

iChat would be great if only by text. Video iChat would be an added bonus.

6. marine610610 macrumors regular

Im disappointed as well, i was hoping for a smidgen of info about a new iPhone.

I realize that the dollar drives the market however, and to leak info about a possible upgrade will impact sales of the current model.

It still pisses me off though :D

7. mbleopard macrumors regular

Yes they said its for the original and 3G phone, though MMS and stereo bluetooth can't be used with the original iphone.

I'm still hoping for a newly designed iPhone mainly because my contract is up in June so I'll be looking at getting an iPhone, plus with the Palm Pre coming out soon as well as some of these other phones, I don't think Apple wants to risk falling behind. They have a huge grasp on the smart phone market and they aren't going to want to give that up.

Plus the original iPhone owners will be coming off their contracts this summer

8. VibrantGravy macrumors newbie

The timing's the same as last year, they gave us 2.0 in March then only announced the GPS/3G features in June when they announced the iPhone 3G hardware...

Maybe a new iPhone with a high-res screen, with more focus on video, and hopefully flash.

9. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

that is a HUGE good point, that i did indeed forget!

well i know hubby wants a iphone, so ive been holding him off til the summer...so i can take the new one, and he can have mine!!

but in fairness he doesnt care for technology...while i am the tech freak in the family. he knows if he gets the new iphone, i will just be selling mine and getting one too. he is too frugal for that!

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Today wasn't hardware, that's for around WWDC.
    You're hedging bets saying no "HUGE" update.
    Be specific, rather than vague - point out what would and would not be huge now. Otherwise it's vagueness being set up for retrospective tea leaf gazing :D

If it's a 1 year cycle for the iPHone, and it seems to be (no bump as yet for capacity) then they're very much likely to make a good evolutionary update to the hardware. The lens size for pictures and video is a sticky one - do they make it bigger to actually get better resolution?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwa80gX5mHo

There will be a decent ad campaign, for the hardware, and software.

11. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I don't know about you guys/gals but I'm placing my bets with this guy^^^^^

:D

12. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

like i said. what hardware could they add that would entice people to get a NEw iphone and not just go out and get the 3g iphone, which if a new iphone comes out the 3g iphone would cost less.

none of the features they mentioned will not work with 3g, so why would we upgrade. Apple can just make old iphone users upgrade to the 3g iphone.

i do think they will

Change the look of the phone (maybe)
    i think they will def. offer a capacity update.

besides that i dont' see a commercial on TV with an iphone having a picture of a ram card and going... faster ram... like honestly. think about how they can market the phone. I think having this new update will make the iphone 3g good for another year.

13. sal macrumors 6502

the next iphone is going to be a big update for me because I am moving from the first generation iphone. I think this is apple's intention. Keep the first generation iphone users to renew their contract and buy a new iphone.

So the good things about generation two and the iphone 3.0 software, along with larger capacity(32Gigs) is going to make this a killer update for me. I Can't wait!

but I can see how those with a second generation iphone might think this as not being a "big deal" So wait for the 4th generation, nobody is telling you to go update it.

14. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

u may be right, they may come out with a new one to get the people who have the 1st gen to get the new one, but what about us who have the 3g, WE have helped apple sell millions more than they were able to do with just the 1st gen. and the 3gs are sold worldwide. eh its tricky we will see. i just don't see them making anything to crazy for the iphone, since 3g is awesome!

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I guess all I have to say is there DAMN WELL BETTER BE!!!! :D

I'm tired of plastic. :)

16. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    You're entirely right, except that the "new phone" will be a performance bump with some extra sutzki.

Apple will put a few cherries on top, and then advertise the new iPhone (whatever the unique branding) using all the new 3.0 features.

Remember the 3G ads? "Twice the speed, half the price"? I'm sure they'll do something with it that will make it more unique, but not really offer anything immediately striking. It took me a while to realize why 3G and GPS was in my best interests. --But now, I'm not sure what they could offer me aside from more hard drive space and better battery life.

I'll bet it gets the iPod shuffle's ear bud controller as a standard. I'd like to predict "video conferencing" (flash, auto-focus, higher res, 2nd camera), magnetometers, and some cool unexpected thing... but, I dunno. I'm inclined to think they're not holding back anything earth shaking at this point.

I think the Pre is going to be something of an also-ran unless it escapes Apple's self-imposed media restrictions and let's people get full media control like most other generic phones with removable memory. People want it SO BADLY they're willing to overlook things they wouldn't forgive Apple for initially (how "real" are its apps?) We'll have to see what those are and how the iPhone 3.0 OS and the new Palm Web OS stack up in the real world... once both of them make it here in final form.

~ CB

17. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i agree it could have the things u mentioned auto focus and better camera, but that isn't really someone that sells a phone, because for that u could just go buy your own camera. its a phone after all its not ment to be 10megapixel like a nikon or cannon. u know what i saying. I mean they coudl think of a slogan, but the 3g was def. needed and it has launched the way for tons of others apps.

18. bigchief macrumors 6502a

At lest double capacity, camera upgrade (video), battery upgrade, and probably a new case. That's enough for me to wait a few more months.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If there isn't at least a storage bump, I'm going to cry bloody murder. It would be almost as sinful as Nintendo twiddling its thumbs with no extra internal storage even though they keep pushing a bunch of big WiiWare titles they want people to buy. My 8GB iPhone is beyond full, and if nifty apps keep coming out, I'm going to need even more space. Am I expected to not carry music at some point? I have already ditched all but a couple of photos and all videos. Arrgh.

20. D-Jam macrumors member

I personally think they are only doing the 3.0 update this year.

If the exclusivity contract with AT&T ends next year, then I'd time that with the release of a newer, cooler iPhone that will go out on multiple carriers...thus pulling Apple ahead of all the iPhone-wannabes the other carriers have.

For me, getting a 2 year with AT&T now would be perfect. If they lower rates sometime later I can change my plan. If a new iPhone comes out next year then I can wait another year for all the bugs and problems with it to get ironed out.

I'm a little strange though because I am only using the iPhone for apps, phone, pda, and some videos. I still use my 5th generation 30GB iPod for music simply because it's nicely protected in a case and thus I can abuse it (toss it in my bag, take it to the gym, etc.). I wouldn't want to do that with the iPhone.

21. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's much easier to sell "better camera" to the general public in TV advertising than it is to explain what 3G is and why you want it.

A better camera is a significant hardware bump, and I expect will be at the core of the new hardware proposition, as well as just a new look for it. More operating RAM is likely IMO too.

Phazer

22. iNikon macrumors member

I just have to ask, do any of you people have lives outside of your iPhones?:confused:

23. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Says the guy posting in an iPhone forum at 9 in the morning. :rolleyes:

24. aluren macrumors 65816

there are tons of things apple can upgrade for the new iphone. just cuz there's new software doesn't mean there can't be new hardware. imgaine they announce a 32gb upgrade, thinner size, better screen resolution, faster processor, more memory, higher res camera, longer battery life. with that, i'm sold on those features, which are highly likely this summer.

and in the end, i'm just glad 3.0 is available on the iphone 3G if upgrade costs too much.

25. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

No, thanks for asking though ;)

But to the point, the only way in hell Apple doesn't make a new phone this year is if they are releasing an ADDITIONAL phone. Not with competitors constantly coming out with new phones etc