3.0 usb very slow speeds when connected to router but fast speeds in mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applelover4u, Mar 21, 2015.

1. applelover4u, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

applelover4u macrumors 6502

So I ran a Lan Speed test
    I have an external usb 3.0 WD hard drive connected via USB 3.0 port to my asus TM1900 router. I also have a jump drive 2.0 connected in other slot

Running the lan test I get 5 Mbps write and 124 Mbps read. jump drive is a little lower

I connected both directly to mac mini and ran the test and I got an huge increase. 680 Mbps read and 760 write. The jump drive speeds even jumped as well to low 100's I believe.

So according to these test my router is choking the speed correct? How can this be fixed or what could be the culprit?

2. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

3. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Router supporting USB 3.0? Havent heard of that...

But assuming it's working at 2.0 speeds, the most likely candidate here is your network setup. Wifi connections are immensely unpredictable. Any kind of interference or distance can cripple data speeds.

4. applelover4u, Mar 22, 2015

applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

USB 3.0 for the external hard drive, the router have a 3.0 slot and my hard drive is 3.0. The jump drive is in the 2.0 slot

----------

Yes my asus tm 1900 have a usb 3.0 slot and a usb 2.0 slot. My wifi is fine and speeds are great connected by wifi n. its just the transfer speed to those 2 devices. Its something with my router

5. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Try turning off bluetooth and see if speed improves.

6. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

bluetooth is off. But its not just my mac mini its my windows laptop as well

7. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

8. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it is set to 5ghz

9. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I'm out of WAGs. Sounds like you've eliminated everything except the router itself.

10. applelover4u, Mar 22, 2015

This is the router. It comes from Tmobile house wifi calling but acts as a regular router. lots of people are refreshing it with other firmware. Right now mobile has it locked or something http://slickdeals.net/f/7193262-t-m...uter-by-asus-free-for-postpaid-25-deposit?v=1

I'm going to try to eliminate the wifi out by connecting my computer directly to the router by ethernet and test the transfer speed to the usb 3.0 hard drive. That way I will know if its the wifi that is causing slow transfer speeds.

If the speed is still slow then Im going to try to unlock and flash the original untouched updated asus software on it and see if that work. If not I'm returning it

I will report back later tonight or so with direct connection results

11. iMac-Do-You? macrumors member

Network speeds will always be a bottleneck, wireless especially so. Always use cabled ethernet where possible to get the best speeds from any network setup (assuming Gigabit ethernet connections/hubs).

Is there a reason you are connecting your drives to your router? Do they need to be shared with other people, or is it just yourself using them? As you've seen, you'll only get the very best drive read/write speeds with them connected directly to your Mac, so again, always do this where possible.

If you want decent speeds out of a network drive, a NAS is the way to go.

12. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks for responding. Yes i know wi fi will be somewhat slower but no where near that slow of speeds I posted above

The drive is connected to my router because my router works as a NAS. That way I can access the drive away from home and also share files/music/video with the "wife"

Im going to wire my router to my mac now and test the speed to see if wifi is the problem or not

13. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

The speeds I posted above were actually Mbps not mbps, not sure if it makes a difference. Any how I connected my router directly to my mac via ethernet. The external 3.0 drive connected to the usb 3.0 slot on the router. I did this test to see if wi fi was the issue

My speed this way were between Write 16-20 Mbps and Reading 250-400Mbps

14. applelover4u, Mar 22, 2015

Forgot to add my router is right next to my tv as well
    rgot to add my router is right next to my tv as well

From my readings most routers with usb 3.0 do not get decent speed anyways. Im going to chalk it up as that but I will still update the firmware as I mentioned above to see if I can get better speeds

And get a giga nas to connect to my router via ethernet soon