Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Just tried the G4-G5 version under Snow Leopard and it works great! I tested it by downloading a video and converting it to a 360p MPEG 4 for QuickTime 6.

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
7.1.7 - 711/2020
YouTube live stream support at 144p, 240p, 360p, 480p, and 720p.

Mplayer support.

Updated FFMPEG to latest version, 4.3. Some AltiVec code is broken in version 4.3 so I have reverted 3 files to what they were in FFMPEG 4.2.3 to fix the issue. This is a workaround until the stable FFMPEG has correct AlTiVec code.

Added SoundCloud download option.

Added 720p streaming of ended YouTube live streams in VLC and Mplayer..

Support for Converting existing files to 96KB/s, 128KB/s, and 320KB/s MP3s. Mono options are also available for the above.

Updated and fixed the 720p YouTube format for downloading YouTube videos as 720p H.264 MP4 files, which work very well on a fast G4 with Core Player.

All VLC and Mplayer options now support full screen.

Updated CA Certificate PEM to the latest 6/24/2020 cURL Mozilla extraction.

Updated Curl to latest version 7.71.1.

Official PowerPC 604 support

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
7.1.7 - 711/2020
YouTube live stream support at 144p, 240p, 360p, 480p, and 720p.

Mplayer support.

Updated FFMPEG to latest version, 4.3. Some AltiVec code is broken in version 4.3 so I have reverted 3 files to what they were in FFMPEG 4.2.3 to fix the issue. This is a workaround until the stable FFMPEG has correct AlTiVec code.

Added SoundCloud download option.

Added 720p streaming of ended YouTube live streams in VLC and Mplayer..

Support for Converting existing files to 96KB/s, 128KB/s, and 320KB/s MP3s. Mono options are also available for the above.

Updated and fixed the 720p YouTube format for downloading YouTube videos as 720p H.264 MP4 files, which work very well on a fast G4 with Core Player.

All VLC and Mplayer options now support full screen.

Updated CA Certificate PEM to the latest 6/24/2020 cURL Mozilla extraction.

Updated Curl to latest version 7.71.1.

Official PowerPC 604 support
How well would it work on a 604? I didn't think anyone still had interest in Pre-G3 machines.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Epic! Thanks for the update! I look forward to trying the SoundCloud download option as well as the livestream support :D

Also, I may have messed up my installation of the web interface, so how would I go about manually removing the web interface files?

Last edited:

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Epic! Thanks for the update! I look forward to trying the SoundCloud download option as well as the livestream support :D

Also, I may have messed up my installation of the web interface, so how would I go about manually removing the web interface files?

In the app select Web Interface then Uninstall.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@alex_free Will downloaded SoundCloud files also be 128kbps as the default, or is that a YouTube limitation?

On that note, if every M4A file ripped from YouTube is locked to 128kbps, what's the use in converting it to a 320kbps MP3? As far as I understand it, PPCMC downloads the native M4A file, and then converts it, but if the data was never there to begin with, why exactly might one want to re-encode the M4A file at a "higher" bitrate MP3 in the first place?

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
@alex_free Will downloaded SoundCloud files also be 128kbps as the default, or is that a YouTube limitation?

On that note, if every M4A file ripped from YouTube is locked to 128kbps, what's the use in converting it to a 320kbps MP3? As far as I understand it, PPCMC downloads the native M4A file, and then converts it, but if the data was never there to begin with, why exactly might one want to re-encode the M4A file at a "higher" bitrate MP3 in the first place?

The MP3 option has been like that since PPCMC 6. I guess it’s just to get the highest quality possible out of the M4A.

QuickTime 6 on Mac OS 8.6-9 can not play M4As.

SoundCloud has 128KB/s MP3s for free users, that’s what is directly downloaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: G4fanboy

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
@alex_free

Thanks for another release, so far it's working great! There's a way to change the default 360p streaming to 480 or 720 in the settings of your program?

YouTube no longer provides those formats as one single file unless you are live streaming. 720p/480p are supported in the live stream functionality but on standard videos YouTube has made this not currently possible.

The 720p CorePlayer option is the next best thing

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Great piece of software. Thanks a lot!
But I have one noob question , what do you use to “navigate “ on YouTube/other sites in order to get the url
Because on my on g4 almost every browser is slow as hell in any video site

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Great piece of software. Thanks a lot!
But I have one noob question , what do you use to “navigate “ on YouTube/other sites in order to get the url
Because on my on g4 almost every browser is slow as hell in any video site

I think this is actually not a known feature of PPCMC, which is quite a shame as it is my favorite that I’ve added.

When PPCMC is launched, it looks for 2 things. Is there a URL copied to the clipboard? Is Safari open?

If Safari is opened, the URL of the last active window is used. If both a link is copied to the clipboard and Safari is open you will be prompted to select the last active Safari window or the clipboard link.

So what I usually do is open Safari and google search a video, then click the link. From here I can simply open PPCMC.app which will use that video link loaded in Safari (without copying anything).

Within the last few months YouTube completely broke compatibility with old Safari versions. Before this you could mostly use the site but just not play anything (which is actually a plus for speed and quickly getting links, Safari is extremely fast at this compared to TenFourFox). But now you can’t do anything but load the page, which now displays nothing but essentially a blank page (this still allows PPCMC to work with Safari however, the only requirement is that the page loads which it does). This sucks since you can no longer use Safari to find other recommended videos, go to the channel page, etc..

Maybe I can implement getting the link from the last active TenFourFox window in a future version, I did read on the TenFourFox blog that AppleScript was supported.

Last edited:

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
IMPORTANT:

The YouTube-dl updater is broken due to GitHub DMCA of YouTube-dl. The bundled YouTube-dl in the current release is too old to work with YouTube right now. This is a perfect storm which results in PPCMC not working at the moment, if you manually replace /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/youtube-dl with the last version pre DMCA it will work.

I do have a copy of the last YouTube-dl pre DMCA and will be uploading that somewhere soon, and the new PPCMC version 7.2 will come with it.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Okay, here's the latest version of YouTube-dl I have, it was directly downloaded via PPCMC's updater pre DMCA. Github will probably restore YouTube-dl soon, the DMCA is completely bogus. Unzip this file, then you can use Finder or Terminal to copy this to /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/youtube-dl and it is working as of today. If you get permission errors chmod -R 777 /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/youtube-dl . If you don't want to do this, you can just wait for version 7.2 which is coming soon.

Attachments

• youtube-dl.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 131

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Interesting development in the youtube-dl thing ?

(not my tweet)

Unfortunately in the sub tweet he correctly mentions format 22 is not available on almost all videos. I believe that is 720p, and that is only available on previously streamed live streams on YouTube in modern year (which is a currently supported PPCMC feature) It is hilarious though that GitHub DMCA has the YouTube-dl source code still.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Unfortunately in the sub tweet he correctly mentions format 22 is not available on almost all videos. I believe that is 720p, and that is only available on previously streamed live streams on YouTube in modern year (which is a currently supported PPCMC feature) It is hilarious though that GitHub DMCA has the YouTube-dl source code still.
Ah, ok, darn. Yeah, I thought it was funny that was the case ?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Was using PPCMC 7's M4A download feature when it just occurred to me ...

Is there a particular reason the PPCMC Downloads folder is highlighted in yellow by default? In my opinion, blue or gray would fit in with OS X's brushed metal / aqua blue color scheme much more naturally, and looks a lot cooler too.

One could also imagine that it would be yet one more detail to 'highlight' PPCMC 7's broad difference from prior versions, as if I recall correctly, that was an inherited quality.

Up to you of course, but I was just wondering if you might have thought of that before.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.