Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
No 4s cert needed
4Siri is NOT a Siri port on your older device. i4Siri is a smart Siri server which needs Siri to be ported on your device first. i4Siri servers now available to the public for free and it doesn’t require you to have a registered iPhone 4S.

Of course, Spire needs your device to be on iOS 5. You may face some problems with i4Siri servers due to huge load on the servers but it will work properly by the time.

from CydiaHelp

directions can be found here
http://cydiahelp.com/install-siri-on-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-ipod-touch-4g-3g/

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Looks risky. I'd stick with good old iMZDL, $20 and peace of mind. :)

Oh , and don't be surprised if your thread gets downrated, we apparently have some 4S owners here that are pretty bummed out that everyone now has access to siri, just check out their rant in my thread...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1337300/

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk

Oh , and don't be surprised if your thread gets downrated, we apparently have some 4S owners here that are pretty bummed out that everyone now has access to siri, just check out their rant in my thread...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1337300/

Why would iPhone 4s owners be so upset at iPhone 4 owners having siri.

Some of the threads I've read state they have turned it off or simply don't use it.

I wanted siri purely because apple said i couldn't !

I also use imzdl for a siri proxy without issue.

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Why would iPhone 4s owners be so upset at iPhone 4 owners having siri.

Some of the threads I've read state they have turned it off or simply don't use it.

I wanted siri purely because apple said i couldn't !

cuz Siri was the "Brand New Thing", it was a key factor in promoting the 4s.
i remember when my friend got me he would laugh about having Siri and how fun she was, haha i showed him :cool:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
cuz Siri was the "Brand New Thing", it was a key factor in promoting the 4s.
i remember when my friend got me he would laugh about having Siri and how fun she was, haha i showed him :cool:

Siri's not a, "brand new thing" as it's been around as an app back with the iPhone3G.
Apple simply purchased it, enhanced it (?), repackaged it and placed it on the iPhone4S.

I like it and use it but it's not the latest, greatest.

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Siri's not a, "brand new thing" as it's been around as an app back with the iPhone3G.
Apple simply purchased it, enhanced it (?), repackaged it and placed it on the iPhone4S.

I like it and use it but it's not the latest, greatest.

...interesting...

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I installed Spire and followed the instructions on connecting to the server. The server seems to be over loaded at the moment then I noticed all third-party apps would crash upon opening so I removed it. More hassel than it was worth.

You're right about the risky part, at one point it asked me for my phone number, which I found very, very sketchy.

Wait. iMZDL will give you a server address to configure with Spire for $20?! :O

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Yep. $20 for a whole year. go check it out. and it's very fast and reliable too.

Hm. I talked to them about it and was about to purchase it, but every time I install Spire on my iPhone 4 all my third-party apps stop working until I uninstall it. Thank God Cydia still worked.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hm. I talked to them about it and was about to purchase it, but every time I install Spire on my iPhone 4 all my third-party apps stop working until I uninstall it. Thank God Cydia still worked.

I'm interested to learn what "third-party apps" stopped working ?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I'm interested to learn what "third-party apps" stopped working ?

Pretty much all App Store apps and a couple jailbroken apps. I first noticed it with Facebook and thought it was just that app and didn't make the connection to Spire being the problem, then I noticed it was basically all non-native apps. >.< A few minutes ago I found out I wasn't the only one with the problem and found a bunch of fixes, for example, this thread. I don't have My3G, but I have other mobile substrate packages like 3G Unrestrictor and FaceBreak. SBsettings may even be the cause, but I have yet to try Spire again. I'll do that later tonight when I have access to wi-fi.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I have spire and sb settings installed with no issue.

Spire should not be causing any issue as this is directly from apples servers !

Hope you manage to get it installed with out issue.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

Unfortunately, it has. Hopefully I just have to uninstall FaceBreak or 3G Unrestrictor or Corona, because I'm sooooo close to having a working Siri, there's just these little problems standing in the way.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

So I got it working! Well, at least Spire, that is. My apps stopped crashing after installing Corona. I had no idea how this makes sense, considering my iPhone already had an untethered jailbreak.

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
Because us 4s users want to feel superior to everyone else that does not own the latest and greatest iPhone. Tis the human condition, me personally..I almost never use it, and find it pretty useless other than to set reminders etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.