3:15 am reboot of UNIX, what is it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by golgoth4prez, May 25, 2009.

1. golgoth4prez macrumors newbie

I was reading through a mac magazine in a book store today and there was a mention of leaving your computer on until 3:15 am because that is what UNIX does for a self reboot or something like that. since old unix computers used to be on 24 hours a day.

I am probably completely wrong and my memory is ill serving me, so I am curious about what it really is, what I should do, if I should do anything.

On the chance what I am thinking is right and that since I am not usually up at 3:15 am, I could just change my clock at 3pm and then let it do what it needs to do.

I have onyx, I am noticing a small decline in my system speed after a few months and want to try something.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

OSX does a little housekeeping in the wee hours, no reboots. If you sleep your Mac at that time, the housekeeping will be done when it awakes.

3. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

really i was under the impression that you hade to keep it awake to run the scripes.

but if i put my MBP to sleep at night, it will run the scrips when it wakes?
    any confirmation for this?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

6. golgoth4prez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I appreciate the information. Especially since i had the nomenclature completely off.

7. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

awesome.

so wats better for the system leave it on or let it sleep at night?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I leave mine running at night, so that Time Machine and other maintenance tasks run when they're supposed to, and so that my daily Carbon Copy Cloner clone runs at 12:00 AM and NOT when my computer wakes up.

That said, if you don't have an important scheduled task that needs to run overnight, I recommend sleeping the machine, for the simple reason that doing so saves power.

9. ghking macrumors regular

ghking