3.2GHz i5 or 3.4GHz i7 for CAD on 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rick.m650, Dec 2, 2012.

1. rick.m650 macrumors newbie

Just ordered a 27" iMac with the 680MX upgrade. But I didn't go for the i7. If this computer might also be used for CAD (Vectorworks), would there be a noticeable benefit with the 3.4GHz i7? Do CAD programs take advantage of Hyper-threading? Only 2D for now but maybe 3D in the future. Thanks!

2. Imaginethe macrumors regular

Not really, 2D drawing in a cad program is basically a linear process, and will utilize one core for that, the individual speed of the individual core is better. usually at least 2.8ghz for later (autodesk at least need this) CAD programs. What you have ordered absolutely fine, especially turbo boosting to 3.6ghz as when needed.

3. yezza macrumors regular

I agree, you won't need the i7. If you get into the rendering of 3D cad, then the i7 (more cores/hyperthreading) would be of benefit, but you would really want to be doing this professionally to justify the additional cost (unless you have a large budget). My experience is in Solidworks.

4. phase4 macrumors newbie

Worth the price?

Similar topic, I'm looking to buy the new 27" iMac and I don't know if I should spend the extra money for the 3.4GHz i7. I'm a photographer and I work a lot in Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, and Photomechanic. Also, I tend to leave a lot of programs running all at the same time, in addition to the above, like Mail, Firefox, Excel, iTunes, Quickbooks, and Roes... and I'll sometimes add on another program or two just to see if I can get my computer to explode... ;)

Anyway, based on what I do, does anyone who understands computers, know if it is worth the increase in price for the added performance, and will I even be able to tell the difference.

Thanks!!!