3.5 inch screen vs. 4 inch Screen: The Final Battle. 4 inches, no more, no less.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Oct 5, 2011.

?

What's the ideal iPhone screen size, never to be changed again?

1. 3.5 inches

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. 4 inches

37 vote(s)
    63.8%
  3. Neither 4 nor 3.5 inches. I will propose my ridiculous screensize below.

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Calidude, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

It's getting a little sad seeing so many people jump to conclusions so let me make it clear what people want for the iPhone:

1) We DO want the iPhone's screen to be exactly 4 inches in size and to have that size NEVER change again after its been made that size.

2) We DO want the iPhone's overall size to stay relatively the same as it is currently. We realize the size has to increase, but we don't want it to increase to the point where the phone becomes unwieldy. The size increase should be easily ignored for every person who holds the new 4 inch iPhone.

3) We DON'T want the iPhone's screen to get any bigger than 4 inches. We feel that 3.5 is too small and 4 inches is the TRUE sweet spot for this phone. It helps with typing, first of all, and it definitely helps with anything you need to view, such as a video or a webpage. In fact, the majority of iPhone users would say that 3.5 inches is too small.

4) We DON'T want the iPhone's size to get much bigger than it is now. We don't want it to become as big as the rumored gigantic Nexus Prime or the tremendous HTC Titan. We just want the iPhone to be JUST big enough to let the 4 inch screen exist along with the rest of the needed components and have a size comparable to the current iPhone.

I repeat, stop trying to claim that we 4 inch screen supporters are creating a slippery slope where the iPhone becomes a monstrosity. We just want the screen to be MORE functional and ideal for what people in general need to do.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Siri: Replace the "we" with "I" everywhere in the OP's post

3. theperipheral macrumors 6502

my girlfriend always says that 4" is the perfect size

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Get a different phone.

I like the 3.5 inch screen and if you increase it to 4, you have two (and only two) options. Either you have to make the phone bigger or decrease the width of the bezel. I like how the iPhone is smaller and more pocketable than other phones, and, having owned a phone with a screen that didn't have a large bezel (Nexus One), accidental inputs are a pain.

Clear enough for you?

5. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Siri: Explain to MacDawg that the majority of this forum wants exactly what I described in my OP.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Uhh. What?

I personally would be fine with a screen between 3.5" to 4.3". 4.5 Inches, such as the Infuse, is just too clumsy for me.

Just my opinion.

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Oh, and by the way, if all you're going to do is post stupid threads about how bad the 4S is, just go an Android board and join the fun over there. That's not to say you can't disagree with anyone, but all of your posts are harping on the same issues. Just don't worry about it (you know, because it's a phone) or leave.

8. Schweitzer macrumors regular

LOL

This doesn't work for several reasons, usability and design for example.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

Siri: define "majority" for Calidude.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Siri: Explain to Calidude that so far the numbers don't prove that theory.

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

Not to mention that, thankfully, Macrumors users are not representative of society as a whole.

12. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Is that an insult?

13. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

It will be defined for you quite soon.

14. Tones2 macrumors 65816

4.3" is good for me. 4" is still too small of a difference from 3.5".

Tony

15. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Doesn't that upset you ?

16. theperipheral macrumors 6502

no...because i'm exactly 4 inches...base to tip. and around.

17. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

At that point, the screen becomes crap for typing.

----------

The real numbers are coming up.

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Self-selection. That's not scientific.

There are real drawbacks, which I detailed in my first post. My second post still stands.

19. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Real drawbacks only happen when you're clueless like most Android phone manufacturers. Apple can and will do it right.

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

There is no 'one size to fit all'. When it comes to phones.

1) People who who say 3.5" is perfect, you do not speak for everyone, what about those with big hands. It's not perfect for me or lots of other people. What's wrong with wanting something to suit my physical build? Everything else comes in different sizes, why can't my mobile devices do that too? Why must we be forced to change OS when Apple could simply profit off another line of phones and keep up happy?

2) People who want 4" or bigger, you (or rather we) are not the majority. MacRumors is not representative of the iOS market-share as a whole, only of people who frequent MacRumors. You have your right to defend you wanting of a bigger screen, but no one wants to see thread after thread after thread with what is basically the same poll every time. If you really want change, email Apple and tell them what you want and why, they might listen.