Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Niftium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
I've read that 3 beeps means "no good memory banks." However, I can't find a definitive definition for this phrase - does it mean the RAM needs to be replaced or that the slots for the RAM in the MB are shot (requiring a new MB)?

I'd give more information if I had it, but I'm troubleshooting someone else's computer from just a couple of remarks he made offhandedly. I know he's running Tiger and that he's not savvy enough to upgrade RAM on his own, so I'm pretty sure he's never been inside the machine.

Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It could be memory out of a socket, or it could be failed memory.

There are 2 locations for memory in an 1Mac G4 -- the user accessible socket is a SODIMM socket immediately behind the round metal plate on the bottom of the machine. That one is easy to check. Remove the RAM module (if there is one, the stock configuration leaves this socket empty) and reinsert it, taking care to push the module into the socket firmly WHILE it is up on the 30 degree angle, before laying it down.

The internal socket, however, is a DIMM that is up in the dome and requires considerable disassembly to access. This is best done by an experienced technician, because it has to be disassembled carefully, then reassembled with new thermal grease.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Same problem here. Initially the iMac seemed to have its' backlight die, now I can't see anything at all on the screen. Reset the PMU, now when I try to boot up I get three beeps. Dusting and reseating the RAM (1x 512MB DIMM) hasn't helped. Should have a Mini VGA adapter soon to test on an external display...

The internal socket, however, is a DIMM that is up in the dome and requires considerable disassembly to access.
I disagree here, you remove the bottom panel (4 phillips screws) and then the bottom section of the computer (4 Torx 15 screws.) Then the bottom of the computer hinges off and you've got access to the RAM panel. Takes about 5 minutes. No thermal grease or fiddling parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.