3 flights. 36 hours. 1 iPhone. Over 7.5 hours of video playback.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by odedia, Feb 19, 2008.

1. odedia macrumors 65816

Sunday reminded me why I bought this terrific machine.

I flew from Israel to illinoy through London. With all the connections and delays it took a looooooong time...

I filled my iPhone with videos only.

On the flights I watched:

The simpsons movie
    2 jeff dunham specials
    knocked up
    1 daily show episode
    1 simpsons episode
    Shrek the halls

Total playback time was over 7.5 hours and it just began to warn me that battery is starting to lose power. Could have easily reached 8 hours and more.

Now I'm in the hotel in champaign illinoy writing this post from the iPhone, no bulky laptop required.

This phone rocks

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Wow 7.5 hours of video use, I wish I could keep a charge going as long as you and others, when I see first sign of loss of batter I get worried and want to charge it. Just wondering how long have you had the phone (I just want to know how many battery cycles it went through roughly)

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Geez that's intense! Aren't Apple's numbers lower than that?

4. Vegantnt macrumors newbie

apple's numbers are lower but I'm pretty sure they were using the iPhone while connected to AT&T's network and on a high brightness setting. Which is a real world condition

We have to remember that for the vast majority of that time was spent on an airplane... With the airplane mode on the iPhone isn't connected at all. That really increases battery life, then take into account that on a plane you can have the brightness level set low (I end up having mine on the lowest)

Last trip I took got near 9.5 hours on a single charge. Airplane mode on, brightness set to the lowest, eq and sound check off, no auto lock or password, on silent with vibrate off, and I have shure e5c in ear headphones so I also keep the volume low since they block out most outside noise

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Illinois brother, not Illinoy. haha!

Glad the battery held up that long for you! It certainly makes long travel less painful.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I know that the music ONLY 24 hours is only accomplished on Playlist where you do not skip before the song completes.

7. jdee2wheels macrumors member

I had a similar experience. I flew to Hawaii about 2 months ago and watched about 10 hours worth of movies on the trip out there and the battery still had a little charge left. The phone was in airplane mode, screen brightness turned down, but volume almost up at the limit...very loud plane :)

8. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

Are you including the time change ;);):rolleyes: Just kidding.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ahhhh that's why I didn't recognize Illiony. I couldn't figure out where that was! :p

10. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I also use my iphone for videos on long flights and don't know how I flew without it. Great machine that has proven its worth the value time and time again.

I could see myself holding on to this phone for several years which is way better than any other phone Ive ever had.

11. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

agreed :D

12. Kobaiyashi macrumors member

A bit off topic but

I myself just completed a cross-country trip and found that the battery life lasted longer than my ability to comfortably watch the screen. Specifically, either my hands would get tired of holding the iphone at an ideal angle or my neck would get sore from looking down for so long.

Acknowledging that I might be screwing this up, mind sharing how you positioned the iphone on your flight? I was thinking for the next flight I might hook a paperclip to an iphone case and then try and hang the iphone off the back of the seat in front of me. Maybe Velcro?

I do wish it had a stand or something that would allow it to rest it in the tray-table.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Peter

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Skipping makes no difference on the iPhone, since it uses NAND Flash for storage. Skipping only reduces battery life by any significant amount on hard drive-based iPods (now only the classic) which must spin up the drive to cache a new song.

14. paduck macrumors 6502

I made a similar flight - Israel to Washington through Germany with my iPhone. I watched about ten hours of Season Three Alias on the flights. I also had plenty of battery left over when I landed to make phone calls.

;) OK, I cheated, I had Zap's external battery pack (RX4-C) which basically takes rechargeable batteries and plugs into your iPhone. I have an iPhone USB adapter that puts the pins in the right place. Anyhow, that was really great and I would recommend it to anyone. It also gave me rechargeable batteries to use in my camera on my trip. For the long plane flights, I think the external battery pack is definitely the way to go. Airplane mode saves a lot on battery as well, I think.

Still, talking about battery life, I have been very pleased with mine for general use. Even with some Wifi and EDGE use, I can go several days without having to plug it in. If I am below 50%, I plug it in, otherwise, I don't worry too much. I do turn it off at night.

I have no affiliation with either of the following two companies, but here are the links to the products I mentioned - the Zap! battery pack:

http://zapworld.com/recharge-it-all

and the Boxwave USB converter that makes the pins all line up:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/iphonechargingadapter/iphone-charging-adapter-apple-iphone_2661.htm

Note that you might be able to get the Zap! product line real cheap at Microcenter. I also found their support to be very helpful. Maybe one day I will buy one of their real products - an electric car....

15. Michael7k macrumors member

YOur battery life I am so envious of. I receive maybe 3 hours of life, no surfing with very little talk time. iPhone is 2 months old.
    Michael

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's not all that surprising if you were in Airplane Mode. No cell, no bluetooth, no WiFi. Shoot, that's most of the battery suckers turned off. When I turn WiFi and bluetooth off on my laptop, I get MUCH better battery life. Good to know if I ever fly anywhere again (I've flown 3 round-trip flights in 30 years).

17. IlliniDude macrumors regular

Amen. Go Cubs!

18. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

On Friday I flew to Sacramento from Louiville KY and watched one full length movie, two chapters of the Green River Killer, 1 hour of audio book, 5 video podcasts and 6 audio and about 30 min of music. The flight was approx 6 hr and 30 min and with airplane mode on still had 2/3rds battery life left.

Sunday night I charged up and got back on the plane for the return trip with the same usage...1 motion picture The Seeker, The rest of the Green River Killer mini series, about 6 podcasts mixed and the rest music. Have not recharged yet and the readings are: Standbye-2 Days, 9 Hours; Usage-6 hours, 20 min and the battery is at about 40% full.

This thing is sweet and I love it, it entertained me, guided me to my destination in Sacramento with Google, used the photo album and enternet to look up stuff while playing games with the family. By the time we left they all just said "have him google it" :D

Very Well Done Apple!

19. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

And Go Illini!! (noticed OP said he was in Champaign).

20. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I had no idea how much difference having no cell service helps with battery life. I still use my abandoned (for iPhone) Treo for playing games (eagerly awaiting those native games on the iPHone!) and the battery can last way over 3 weeks without recharging. I find that truly amazing, considering that the battery is almost 3 years old and was used all of the time until I got my iPhone 2 months ago. Airplane mode is the way to go if you don't need the cell service for awhile and need to extend your battery life.

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Threads like this make me want an iPhone. My HTC can only muster about 15 hours of music only playback :/ And a 10 minute phone call eats about 10% of battery life :mad:

22. docwoz macrumors newbie

Fellow Illini here too -- big football season coming up!

And i think he said "Illanoy" as other Big Ten schools call us this as they think we are 'annoying'. Probably just jealous :D

23. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

Definitely jealous!!! i had no idea thats what they called us! WTF though, its not like other schools' fans aren't annoying....

looking forward to the football season for sure.

24. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Yeah. Illinois, pronounced "ill-i-noise". :)

25. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Actually Illinois is pronounced "ill-i-noy" :)