3 more undercover planned parenthood videos released

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by HyperX13, Feb 4, 2011.

1. HyperX13, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

HyperX13 macrumors 6502

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....Acorn had no reason to be shut down, other than that they actually helped minorities *Gasp*

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The actions of one individual are not evidence of systemic behavior. The whole ACORN affair was a politically-charged farce initiated by ignorance, racism and hate on the part of far-right conservatives.

This is a smear campagin, a swiftboating. It's not journalism or politics so much as it is simple muckraking.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is a major issue that is embedded into the 'slippery slope' idea. How is STI testing/treatment wrong for people who are 'underage'? If you report everyone, then people aren't going to seek initial treatment and that actually increases the burden on society. If fewer people get treatment, then there is a larger body of people to spread STIs. You can't stop people from having sex and you really can't change other people's opinions...where do we draw the line on what is vs. isn't right to provide dependents with on a confidential basis? Birth control distribution lowers unwanted pregnancies and lowers abortion rates and STI treatment lowers the children born with certain diseases (such as AIDs, which can be stopped from mother-child transmission).

Underage birth control/testing/treatment I feel is important to have at a confidential level...as far as abortion goes I am not sure simply on the basis that understanding what the operation entails, risk v. benefit, may be too complex for people of a younger age. With that said, some parents do exist that would rather have their children die giving birth than have an abortion on a high-risk pregnancy, which indicates a major issue as well.

5. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is not one individual any more. These are different locations with similar results. 3 that I am aware of. Possibly 5.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...nderage_sex_slave_ring_or_a_hoax_either_w.php

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...d_fbi_investigation_underway_over.php?ref=fpc
    Try getting the complete set of facts before you post bull **** like this.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- here we go again with right wing hysteria. Is it even legal for Planned Parenthood to report such things? Wouldn't that be like a drug treatment center calling the police, telling them you did drugs and having you arrested?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And just like the Acorn BS, its heavily edited crap that completely changes what actually happened.

It'd be nice if people like you would actually look into a story rather than just forwarding it along contributing to the lies.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

See my post above. It is legal, they reported it, the FBI investigated it, and determined it to be a hoax. This is the biggest non-story of the year.

And I think this is a bit different, if the man really was running an underage sex trafficking ring, they should report it immediately. It's different than a drug rehab center calling the police because doing drugs only affects you.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Looks like you weren't telling us the whole story, HyperX13. Hopefully these right-wing nuts get to have a nice little chat with the FBI about their "sting".

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. Once again, we have right wing nuttery on display.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Think this will gain enough traction to kill off Planned Parenthood? It already worked once...which is truly terrifying that our politicians and media would cave to pressure spread through lies.

Actually, that sounds par for course, never mind.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- Planned Parenthood will be fine.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Smear campaigns like this only work if everyone believes the nonsense they are spoon-fed by the media without fact-checking.

There are political activists (on both sides) who are willing to resort to lies, breaking the law and even assault in order to destroy organizations and people they oppose. The lunatic fringe of the anti-abortion crowd has produced a few notable examples.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why did we allow ACORN to go down ?

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Democrats in congress (and the president) decided to distance themselves from the organization rather than defend it against Republican attacks.

However, ACORN still exists under another name. I'd wager that people will soon forget about the whole thing. Most people already have.

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

We really need a left wing nut to sneak into some traditionally GOP backed establishments like the NRA. I'm 100% sure there are a few morons employed there...

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Oh noes :eek:

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What!? No, they're just all god fearing, Amurica lovin', good ole fashioned Patriots I tell ya what....

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Does Michael Moore's interview with Charlton Heston count - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=379436543310263692#

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, the ATFE recently did a sting in a gun show down in Arizona and nabbed a few dealers who sold Glocks to undercover agents posing as ineligible buyers. So the Fed is probably keepinig reasonably good tabs on them.

Charlton Heston got quite a roasting a few years back by Michael Moore, and I thought it was in poor taste, since the old codger had one foot in the grave and Moore ambushed him at his house just to get some juicy soundbites.

The NRA has become increasingly hard-line and politically active ever since the anti-gun lobbies appeared. Some of their work has been good (such as pointing out the folly behind gun control groups' assertions that teflon-coated bullets were armor-piercing "Cop Killers" and that Glock pistols could evade X-Ray detection :rolleyes:), but their rhetoric these days has gotten a bit scary for my tastes. I got a letter from the NRA the other day soliciting membership (if you buy a gun these days you'll show up in their database and they'll come after you), and they essentially told me that I was a traitor to the constitution unless I joined them. It was ridiculous.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well problem is ACORN had a lot of problems in their policies and did not do much to try to correct them. ACORN made a problem with they paid people based on the number they brought in and made no effort to really root out people who just opened up a phone book and copies stuff.

23. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Maybe we should make sex illegal? We've never tried that one before;)

24. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Here we have the 21st Amendment brewery, celebrating the repeal of alcohol prohibition. I look forward to seeing what establishment names itself after the amendment repealing this. :D

I really cannot believe how much nothing-to-see there is in these videos. There are so many obvious tricks in play it's hard to know where to start criticizing.

Good a place as any: I'm not sure what reaction people expect to see here. Do they expect these women to stand up on the spot and aggressively confront a male claiming to be a pimp, who might very well be dangerous? Finally, someone exposes the truth behind Planned Parenthood: the people who work there are not terminally stupid. As indicated many times already, there is nothing in those videos to suggest the PP offices did not contact law enforcement after the encounter.

Second, though, this performance of his is obviously loosely scripted, and has obviously been carefully crafted to use a "boil the frog" approach. The story starts fine and then slowly adds on increasingly unsavory detail, much of which is more innocuous than the intended audience will interpret. For instance, talking about "working in the sex business" and "the girls I manage" could imply a prostitute/pimp relationship, but maybe not. There is a legal sex industry: the man is not specific enough to rule out working in a strip club or producing adult movies. So some of the girls he works with may not be legal immigrants -- one might wonder if that implies human sex trafficking, but one wouldn't know. And illegal immigration itself, perhaps that's a problem, but it's so very not Planned Parenthood's.

By the time he does drop the "underage" bomb, he's already got them into this "professionally nonjudgmental/don't leap to conclusions" space, but you can generally see the workers, particularly the woman in the first video, stumble at this point. What happens with a lot of people in this sort of situation is a sort of "deer caught in headlights" moment. They don't know what they've gotten themselves into, or what to do about it, so the default reaction is something like "nod and play nice, pretend you didn't just hear that, act like nothing's wrong, do your job and get him out of here."

The jackasses who perpetrate these so-called "stings" know that reaction -- it's the rabbit in their hat -- but moreover they know their prejudiced audience won't care about the dishonesty.

Next, the very fact that those workers didn't know how to react to that sort of thing, that it struck them as a possible hoax, and only a few episodes were enough to alert the national organization to a pattern unusual enough to justify contacting the FBI proves the exact opposite of what the perpetrators of the hoax are trying to imply: their little improvisational theater routine does not represent a typical day at Planned Parenthood offices. And the videos do not show people who understand aiding criminals to be a part of their job. Otherwise they would be responding to that specifically. Instead, they unerringly steer the conversation back to what they do know, which is reproductive health.

Finally, though, there probably was a part of those workers thinking that, however horrible the circumstances that led those notional girls, of whatever age and nationality, to need the sorts of services Planned Parenthood provides, they need those services nevertheless. Incidentally, that part of them is absolutely goddamned right.