#3 Republican attended white-supremacist meeting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This idiot speaks at a David Duke event, then claims "he didn’t know at the time about the group’s affiliation with racists and neo-Nazi activists." :roll eyes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...80dc14-8fa3-11e4-a900-9960214d4cd7_story.html

Dude is toast. Only question is how long he hangs-on before Boehner throws him over the side.

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Once again, it's amazing how when the GOP discovers someone is openly racist, it's expected that he'll get canned. In the Democrat party, he gets elected president (Clinton) or vice president (LBJ) or becomes the "Conscience of the Senate" (Robert Byrd).

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

No kidding. Slick willy was impeached & there he is giving speeches as a beacon of the democrat party:mad:

4. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

He was impeached for lying under oath, not for being openly racist.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You're kinda leaving out an important factor here: He was acquitted.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Lyndon B. Johnson: Super racist.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Not enough people willing to nail him

8. Moyank24, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Not sure this is something that will get him canned. Especially since it was so long ago, and Lord knows there are many in his party, and politics in general, that probably have much worse beliefs. But in this day and age, who knows? A congressman from Staten Island is about to resign after speaking with Boehner, but that was because he pled guilty to tax evasion. I'm not sure this is quite as bad.

I'm not sure that it mentioned it in the article, but do we know what he spoke about? That's probably important as well.

I think we just chalk this up to the state of politics in the US. On a scale of 1 to the "Golfer in Cheif", this may fall at a 6.5...

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I doubt he'll resign his seat; however, I doubt he'll be majority whip for much longer.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

At least almost all Democrats understand what racism is. The Republicans and their ParasiTeas continue to flail, befuddled and clueless about the very concept, desperately vomiting idiotic false equivalencies in a vain effort to catch up with the zeitgeist.

11. TimelessOne macrumors regular

I look at it as it was 10 years ago but do treat it as something to watch. What is sad now days is this seem to be more the norm instead of the expectation for the GOP. It does add to the reason why the GOP is also the party of hate and bigotry. It sad that stories like this to not surprise me any more.

I saw this article elsewhere with headline Congressman attended white-supremacist meeting. My first though was I bet it is a republican. I was kind of sad to see it was from 2002 which more tells me how sad and pathetic our media has become. I do expect him going any higher in the GOP leadership to be fried and I would not be shocked to see him lose this number 3 spot over this. Mostly because the GOP already is earning the reputation of being hte party of hate and bigotry and the last thing they want to do is add more fuel to that fact.

12. AlecZ macrumors 65816

AlecZ

Something I like is that Republicans are more against openly racist policies such as Affirmative Action that the Democrats tend to support. I was surprised when I heard that state institutions in California are still banned from considering race/ethnicity (or sex) as factors for employment or admission into universities. Why should skin color matter?

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Clearly a plot by the Liberals to distract from the Golfer in Cheif (sic) ruining weddings.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The reason you have affirmative action is because a C grade kid from a bad school is just as good as an A grade kid from a top school.

The same applies to extracurricular stuff. Rich kids can afford to go to piano lessons, poor kids cannot. So again you have to take that into account.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

LBJ: Super racist:

Behind closed doors, Johnson said: “These Negroes, they’re getting uppity these days. That’s a problem for us, since they got something now they never had before. The political pull to back up their upityness. Now, we’ve got to do something about this. We’ve got to give them a little something. Just enough to quiet them down, but not enough to make a difference. If we don’t move at all, their allies will line up against us. And there’ll be no way to stop them. It’ll be Reconstruction all over again.”​

----------

Funny, but if reality is your yardstick, it's the Democrat party that measures up to being the party of hate and bigotry:

Anyone but Obama: jailbird gets primary votes in Texas
    Just how unpopular is President Barack Obama in some parts of the US? Enough that a man in prison in Texas got 4 out of 10 votes in West Virginia's Democratic presidential primary.

Two in five Kentucky Democrats vote for 'uncommitted' instead of Obama
    About two out of every five Democratic voters in Tuesday's presidential primary in Kentucky chose "uncommitted" instead of voting for President Barack Obama.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nah, the problem is that the South of the U.S. is still racist, regardless of party.

17. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Questioning whether or not someone is voting for another person based on the color of their skin does not make them a racist. A racist is someone who thinks they are superior to another race.

This is precisely why we can't have an intelligent conversation about race or anything for that matter when people choose to come up with their own definition of a word, the conversation becomes incoherent and meaningless.

The traditional definition of the word racism is as follows:

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

But nowadays, perhaps to deflect attention from the people who are the true racists, we seem to what to lump together anything racial in nature and call it racism. This is something that happens on both sides of the political spectrum.

Yes, Affirmative Action is a form of racial discrimination but the motivation behind it isn't because someone thought a particular race was superior to another race but rather an attempt to create opportunities for those at a disadvantage.

Racism is a serious accusation and it should never be used casually or interchangeably with the word discrimination or bias unless you can prove that someone's true motives are because they feel superior or hatred towards another race.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that sums up this whole problem of race relations in the USA.

The South NEVER got over LOSING the War Between the States.

They would pass Jim Crow laws and repeal the Civil Rights act if only they could, it is one of the reasons they clamour for STATES RIGHTS.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It's the "regardless of party" that you have to prove. I've given evidence that the Democrat party has a bumper crop of racists. And not just in the South but in sunny ole' California:

'String Him Up'
    Racist and eliminationist rhetoric at a Common Cause rally.​

----------

Are you kidding? Voting against someone based on the color of his skin is practically the definition of being a racist. You think that person's skin color is somehow inferior and not worthy of your vote.

20. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

It is if that person feels that the person who they are voting for is superior because of their race but that wasn't the point I made. Why are you changing the subject? Questioning whether or not some is a racist doesn't make you a racist.

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Excuse me if I misunderstood (and still don't understand) your original posting. Please rephrase it so I can reply properly.

22. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

You referred to Bill Clinton as openly racist and to support your claim you provided a link to an article about Bill Clinton accusing Senator Kennedy of only supporting Obama because he was black.

Please explain how that makes Bill Clinton openly racist?

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You missed the point of the article, Duck. LBJ was pretty damn racist. Very much a product of his time and upbringing. But it was something he took great effort in trying to move beyond, and eventually became instrumental in passing the Civil Rights Act.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Note to politicians. Have your staff check out any group before you speak before them. If that isn't possible, ask yourself one question; Will David Dukes be there?

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm not so sure. It wasn't terribly long ago that white southerners tried to elect David Duke himself to public office. This episode will certainly damage Scalise politically, but he might be able to hang around Congress a long time.