3 Teens Arrested For Assault After Girl's Suicide

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xShane, Apr 12, 2013.

1. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Full article: http://news.yahoo.com/3-teens-arrested-assault-girls-suicide-024221519.html

It took seven months to even figure out what happened (as the parents didn't even know why she committed suicide).

I'm glad things are now more understood and action is being taken.

Seriously, what is wrong with some of these kids?

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Perfect example of why free speech has become more dangerous with the advances in technology, in a way that the founding fathers couldn't have envisioned.

Justification for restricting the right to free-speech?

And yes, I do understand that this occurred in Canada and not the USA, but this stuff happens all the time in the USA too.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm not sure it's justification for restricting the right to free speech, but I would definitely put more responsibility on parents to more closely monitor and restrict access to what their children do on the internet. The snowball effect with kids this age when one posts something can be extremely damaging to the victim.

If only there was a way to have enforcable age restrictions on things like Facebook and Twitter and other places where all of this "online bullying" occurs.

We also need to figure out why children are standing around when these girls are being assaulted and taking pictures/video instead of stopping it. It's disgusting and I hope I do a better job raising my children than the parents of all of these kids involved have.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This did not happen in Canada. The last paragraph referred to a different instance that happened in Canada though.

5. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

They should be prosecuted as well, a'la The Accused

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Wow, you're right. I didn't read the link, just assumed it was the same case that I read yesterday that occurred in Canada. The circumstances seem eerily similar.

7. TedM macrumors 6502

I dislike how someone has to die for serious action to be taken.

Edit: I guess its cause they didn't know.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You didn't read the article yet decided to reply to it ?

:confused:

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

11. Squadleader macrumors regular

Yes, I am all for just 10 words at a time, any more than that can cause irreparable harm...
    On a different note, freedom of speech is aimed at the Gov't not individuals....This forum for example is privately owned you CANNOT say anything you want or have a right to....(Unless the Gov't owned it)

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It seems that this generation doesn't have a sense of reasoning, filming someone being abused and then posting it on the internet seems to be far too common now. Not to mention all the posts on Facebook of people at a party just posting their drunk selves all over the place not thinking that it could come back to bite them in 15 years. Do you blame the parents or just the speed of social media outpacing what parants can stop.

Kids need to learn to respect themselves now or we are doomed when these kids get older and think it is ok to disrespect themselves and others.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

One is quite a departure from the other. Everyone has gotten too drunk at one point or another. People should learn to lighten up about that. Abusing others is a totally different thing.

14. Shrink, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I just want to make sure I understand your post...sexually abusing someone who is passed out drunk is bad, but standing around, doing nothing to stop it, and VIDEOING it is OK??

And being drunk excuses it??

Did I get that right??:confused:

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I must have very poor writing skills or something. I was referring to this line.

I wouldn't judge anyone for general drunken behavior at a party years ago. I mean regular drunken behavior. Assault is totally different, and it isn't excusable though, nor is filming it, both of which happened here. I can't believe her friends didn't look out for her.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why do people feel the need to film drunken behavior. That is where the problem is. Yes people get drunk, but why film it and have that be stuck with you for your entire life. in 15 years when you go for that important job interview and the boss looks at your past Facebook history and sees topless photos who is that good for?

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Got it!

Thanks for the clarification...:D

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Because they are drunk. Which is not an excuse by any means.

;)

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

15 years is a long time. I wouldn't personally judge someone for topless photos, especially not years later.

20. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Yeah let's just use this as ANOTHER reason to restrict or eliminate another freedom for EVERYBODY because of the actions of ONE (or just a few) people. I guess there really is no such thing as PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY anymore.

The responsible parties are:

1. The people who assaulted her
    2. The people who photographed it
    3. The people who posted the photos
    4. The parents of those people
    5. The girl's parents

Ultimately, it was up to the parents to protect her when all else failed. Or at the very least be a source of support.

This country is truly lost with so many people being willing to give up their freedoms in exchange for the ILLUSION of security.

Rob

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Are people saying we need to give up personal freedom because of this?

22. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Yes, go back to the start of this thread and read down a few posts.

Rob

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Oh. The part where one person mentions that free speech can be dangerous And ask if we should restrict it and nobody says yes?

24. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Yes, but the thing is, there are a lot of people who DO agree with him, even if they aren't on this site. The point is that there are too many people willing to give up freedoms.

I just saw a news story the other day... some teacher at a grade school in Florida actually had her students do a writing exercise, where they wrote, "I would give up some of my constitutional rights in exchange for more safety and security." I hope she gets fired.

Rob

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

What a moron. Unfortunately it's easier to change to the constitution then it is to fire a teacher.