3 Trump properties posted 144 openings for seasonal jobs. Only one went to a US worker.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Feb 13, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

What's all this about America first again?

A Vox analysis of hiring records for seasonal workers at three Trump properties in New York and Florida revealed that only one out of 144 jobs went to a US worker from 2016 to the end of 2017. Foreign guest workers with H-2B visas got the rest.

[​IMG]

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well if they got the visas they are at least there legally... but yeah... capitalism trumps optics (pun intended).

3. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    And?
    I know of two US companies who do similar. They have an issue getting seasonal workers who last the season.
    As long as they are legal I don't see an issue. Now if they were permanent positions ... I would hope for a bit more effort to employee locally.

4. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

And the point is if you're going to tout America first! from the rooftops, practice what you preach or you open yourself up to this kind of criticism.

5. linuxcooldude, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

It is America first. With the H-2B visa program, businesses are allowed to hire immigrants if there isn't enough American applicants available. I would say most Americans are not looking for temporary jobs, but permanent ones. Considering Trump just expanded the Visa program for seasonal work if its in our best interest to do so, which it is.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Not disagreeing. From what I know of seasonal jobs, this isn't a surprise or a big deal.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Oh come on - you know Trump isn't running his companies so he doesn't have any say there

HAHAHAHAHAHA

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It wouldn’t be if he wasn’t a massive hypocrite. Not just on this, but many issues.

9. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Exactly why his continuing to own his properties is a huge conflict of interest, as it's also in his best interest to do so.

10. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yep, the stock market being one of the biggest. If you're going to brag and take credit when it's up (almost daily) then you better own it when it goes down.

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

But didn't you hear that was Obama's fault? :confused:

12. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I did hear that but only after it went down because Fox News.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you say #AmericaFirst you should be making an effort to hire locally. Even if that means paying a bit more.

Otherwise Trump is just scamming his voters.

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That was established day 1.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Damn him for not single highhandedly raising the median pay for housekeepers, because we know Americans are lining up for that job.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I’m sure there are companies that do pay Americans for that sort of job.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I worked at a hotel for 2yrs in high school. You know how many blond haired, blue eyed men or women came in to apply for open housekeeping positions? Or better yet, do you know how many came in 100% fluent in English?

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Doesn't work that way. Seasonal is a cost savings measure.
    Seasonal workers are used in many cases as fill in to limit how many full time employees you need to carry who get benefits. If you raise the starting wage for seasonal you risk alienating your full time employees and eliminating the reason you hire seasonal in the first place.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd have a lot of sympathy for this if Trump wasn't running an elite hotel chain. He could just pay all his staff more.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

So... proof that not all immigrants are taking "American's jobs"?

Full time employees have a bit more job security, and benefits. Domestic seasonal workers might be more plentiful if the pay was higher, but still doesn't mean full time work wouldn't be preferred by the worker. Regardless Trump's hotel chain is quite willing put profit ahead of the domestic labour force.

21. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

22. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

3 words.

Lead by example.

Even if takes more effort. MAGA

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Take a look at Home Depot and Lowes (in the news today about hiring)
    Lowes is hiring (or trying to) 53000 seasonal workers.
    Home Depot is hiring 120000 seasonal and part time.
    Both companies a few years back seriously scaled back full time workers in favor of seasonal and part time as a serious cost savings measure. You honestly think they will increase pay? For low margin businesses that is a fools errand. Now add in online businesses (like Amazon) and these are looking everywhere to save even pennies.

Now when I look at housekeeping in the hotel industry... not going to pay more as that will upset the current apple cart and you and me will be footing the bill via higher room rates.

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

Trump junk is not made here. MAGA is for the other guy.