3 weeks into my mbp now rumored retina display, Makes me a sad panda.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trance, May 14, 2012.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

I got a 13' macbook pro and I love it to death. I had no clue what retina display was about till i checked out the comparison of iPad 2 to iPad3 at best buy and the display is nothing less than amazing, anyway the rumor mill is speaking of retina display coming to the mbp!? This is a must have for any mbp fan but I'm sad that my new mbp is nearly a month old and I'm considering replacing it.
    ...life
    :(

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Retina has been a topic for a long while. However, it is up to you whether you really need it and if so, sell your new machine and get the newest. Chasing technology though never results in the consumer winning.

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

This has been the rumor for far longer than two weeks, my friend.

4. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

I feel your pain, it's called buyer's remorse. But how can you be so sure that the next MBP actually will have retina display? It's just a rumor, and we don't even know when it will be released.

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I would not be down about your purchases.

First, everything is just a rumor.

Two, I doubt they will have a Retina display. Now, I would like a Retina display but I remain skeptical give the technical issues behind having a 13", 15, 17" Retina display (GPU bandwidth, battery, manufacturing, etc...). Manufacturing an iPad 3 is much different than a 15" or 17" Retina based MBP.

Three, you can never have the latest and greatest forever. Newer technology comes down the pipe that will make your purchase obsolete in time.

Enjoy what you have, look forward to the future, be happy.

-P

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You'll feel better with these:

1) Oh it's a new revision at least you got the one with all the bugs out.
    2) This one is fine the new one probably won't even be that much better
    3) You got a fine machine I got the same one so we're buddies and we both made the right decision
    4) That's ok the one that comes in 2 revisions will be the one that will REALLY be awesome. It just so happens to be the same one that I am going to pick up, so in reality, we're smarter. This next one will be crap.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I doubt there will be a retina display in the Macs.

iPhones and iPads are one thing; MacBooks and iMacs are limited by current computing technology - And this tech says that only extremely powerful GPUs can run such high resolution screens, and sadly Apple isn't known for putting the best GPUs in their machines.

Now, the Ivy Bridge processor upgrade and the Intel HD4000 will be worth the upgrade, as well as the rumored thinness.

Me, personally? I'm waiting for the Broadwell Macbook Pros. 14nm shrink of the future Haswell architecture? Count me in.

9. StUPoT macrumors member

Don't worry mate I just got mine nd I'm really happy
    Just think a few years down the line they will be even better :)

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No longer just a rumour. Apple have confirmed the retina display. Agencies like Bloomberg don't play rumours.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/14/apple-to-release-thinner-macbook-pro-at-wwdc/

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

"Bill Evans, a spokesman for Cupertino, California-based Apple, declined to comment, while Chuck Mulloy, a spokesman for Intel, referred questions to Apple."

Doesn't look "confirmed" to me.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I will wait and see; if the display`s are "retina" they have to be driven by a stronger GPU and that's going to generate more heat in a physically smaller system.

I tend to like the last of line Mac`s as in general all the kinks are worked out and they run for several years without any trouble. So personally speaking I have no remorse with my own Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7, and my other last of line Early 2008 15" MBP 2.4 C2D is still running strong four years down the line.

I don't believe for one second the next generation of MBP will be worse than the present, however I do believe it will take Apple a couple of production cycles to get things right and a couple of revisions to perfect the new design.

Most importantly the release of a new MBP line will not make your present system redundant, the 2011 machines are highly competent and very powerful, especially the quad cores...

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Rumors of updated mbps has been well more than the last 3 weeks