3-year-old dies after shooting himself in head with inanimate object

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Mar 1, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seems to be happening weekly. Ugh.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/...tm_campaign=Feed:+TheRawStory+(The+Raw+Story)

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

From the quote: "You don't want to blame the parents"

Who else is there to blame? I'd blame the excessively pro gun culture who thinks guns should be part of our daily lives along with the careless parents.

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

But you have guns, are you not part of that culture?:rolleyes:
    Parents screwed up

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

No, I'm not part of the excessively pro gun culture if you have not figured that out yet. Sometimes you try to hard. ;)

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Ha, Seems YOU have not figured out there are very few who are part of that "excessive culture", around 80 million gun owners and only 5 million NRA owners, around 300 million guns and it's only the stupid ones who make it to the news.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

For instance, are you making your own rounds at home?

Do you have thousands or rounds stored up in case of some dire collapse of society or tyrannical government takeover?

Do you buy so many guns that you complain about drawers filled with cheap trigger locks?

If so ... you may be part of the excessively pro gun culture.

----------

Are you calling that kid stupid?

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Excessive is subject to opinion.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

None of these cause accidents like in the OP.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am very pro-gun and if this woman wanted to have a gun for personal carry then the purse should have been out of reach of the child. I am also surprised that the child knew to disable the safety but I figure he could have done it just by playing with it. When I am old enough to have kids, I will teach them proper gun safety but keep the guns out of view until about age 5 or 6.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Non sequitur.

I was pointing out a few indications of being emerged in excessive, gun-culture mentality.

I was not discussing the causes of accidental shootings.

11. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Sounds like the mother should be arrested for involuntary manslaughter.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Not necessarily. Provided that the mother did indeed place the purse on a shelf that would not be accessible to a child unless they did some extreme action then I think the horror of her losing her child is enough. I think it surprised my mother when I got out of my crib and came knocking on the door. Kids are adventurous and this seems to be a horrific accident. Now if the mother just left her purse in an easily accessible place for the child then yes she may be held accountable.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

So, do you take issue with folks who reload and/or handload ammunition as being part of the "excessively pro gun culture?"

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People simply need to store their guns securely, in a safe.

It's not sufficient to "put one's purse out of reach," they need to be locked up.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With all the technology now like fingerprint activated safes, there are so many good options to keep guns secure... I could barely imagine if this happened to one of my preschoolers....

16. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, and definitely never store the gun loaded.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I tend to think that just ownership isn't enough. Lots of people own cars, but aren't part of car culture.

Instead, gun culture is for people who obsess over guns, gun rights, and firing guns. It's for people who modify their M-4 so much that the mods cost more than the gun. It's for people who hand-load cartridges and fish for brass at ranges.

And, it's also wrapped up in the insane politics of guns.

I might be a gun owner, but I can still be highly critical of gun culture.

'

I disagree. The "horror of losing her child" is not enough in other kinds of negligent circumstances, so guns shouldn't get a special exemption. Her failure to properly secure her firearm killed her child.

And, the state should treat these cases in this way.

Generally speaking, someone who hand-loads ammunition is probably steeped in gun culture, but they may just be cheap or unsatisfied with what's available on the market.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Beat me to it.

Is it possible for people to engage in this and not be into gun culture?

Sure.

Just as it's possible for people to brew their own beer and not be into beer culture. Or people who race cars yet are not into race culture. Or people who enjoy square dancing, but don't who aren't into square dance culture.

I'm sure they exist.

19. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I won't argue with the fact that the typical handloader/reloader(there is a difference, although many folks engage in both practices) is probably someone with a serious interest in guns and most likely someone who shoots more than average.

I do resent the implied stereotype about the "gun culture" from your earlier post, however.

This is not the place, but if someone wants to have an intelligent discussion about handloading and/or reloading and the reasons for it, I'm more than happy to participate.

I just resent someone implying that a common hobby(and yes, for most of us, it is a hobby) is something evil.

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I do agree that the gun should have been properly secured in a gun safe or on the person (if openly carrying).

21. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I couldn't be less interested.

But then, I'm not into guns.

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Gun safety is as important as owning a gun in the first place.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Keep in mind, I've spent quite a bit of time here talking about the problems in gun culture, but I don't think it's evil.

Instead, gun culture is problematic because of how it relates to the larger culture and how it has shifted from people who occasionally hunted or fired at clay to a burgeoning billion dollar industry backed by histrionic culture-warriors, while producing millions of guns without consideration that drowning the nation in firearms might have bad results.

So, yeah, hand loading is an interesting niche that can be entirely separate from larger gun culture, but I would argue that if we designed a Venn diagram between hand loaders and NRA members, we'd see a lot of overlap.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Was the woman in this case particularly stupid? And by that, I mean significantly more stupid and/or careless than the California police Lt. - who had one young daughter accidentally shoot and kill another when she got ahold of his service weapon?

The reality is that any firearm is a highly dangerous object to have in the house - especially if there are young children present. With a loaded firearm, the responsible owner literally cannot relax their guard or vigilance for so much as a second as long as the weapon is out of a locked gun safe. That means while taking a shower, using the toilet, or talking on the phone - you cannot allow your attention to wander.

Thats the problem with the "gun culture." It fills people's heads with absurd nonsense about defending your family from (largely non-existent) bogeymen. While quietly ignoring the reality that keeping a loaded gun to hand means never, ever, being able to relax.