30 Apple Monitor used as TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Directornyc, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Directornyc macrumors newbie

Is it possible to hook my Time Warner cable box up to the 30" Apple Screen I am not using at the moment?
    It would be for a guest bedroom, and I imagine the Monitor is quality enough that anyone watching on it would be happy?
    For speakers Would I be able to get a set of decent small one's to hook up as well?

Thank You!

Nyc

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's not directly possible, only indirectly. You'd need a computer that is able to output to the screen's dual link DVI port and have a USB port for a TV turner.

3. Directornyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You for the quick reply

Thank you, that was so quick!

So- It will not really be worth it-

I do not know what to do with this huge display, as I do not have the room on my desk as I once did.
    Having it sit and collect dust seems so wasteful.
    Question- When I did have a 2 Monitor Set-up, A 24"and the 30" the connections had been SO tight, and short- meaning everything had to be right on top of one another. Do connecters exist now that would allow me to have a good amount of slack and length to place things further away? :confused:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, they do make extension cables. For the 30", you'd want a dual link DVI extension. For the 24", you'd want a mini-DisplayPort extension.

5. COrocket macrumors 6502

That would be one hella expensive TV. I think if you got a HDMI to DVI cable it would work but output at 1920x1080. It might look a little off since that isn't the native resolution for the display.

If you can't use it as a computer monitor any more I'd just sell the thing. You could get enough money from it to buy a regular 30 inch or larger TV and maybe have a little extra cash left over.