Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I thought the most interesting part about the News app was in regard to the New York Times offering 30 free articles for free on the app each day. I doubt very many people read more than 30 articles per day, so surely they know that for a lot of us, there's no reason to keep subscribing.

I love the organization but I can't justify paying $15 to $35 for content that I can get for free. I'm assuming Apple is paying them a large sum to offer this benefit.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
He said 30 free articles but not who selects them... NYT or the user. I don't think NYT is going to damage their subscription base this way after they made the effort to go behind a pay wall. I suspect NYT will curate which articles will be "open source" and which ones will remain for pay only. Also didn't say that the 30 articles would actually be from the paper and not the blog or an shortened version of the actual newspaper article.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Remember NYT now also gives you some popular articles for free throughout the day, but of course you can't choose which ones like Chupa suggested

You can also send/drag/copy-paste links to Pocket, and read any article for free. This seems to be OK with NYT as they insert a little disclaimer at the bottom saying it's allowed for personal use only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.