Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I just got a Micro Center AD/catalog. They have these 2 LCD screens - 30" and 27" - a lot cheaper than Apple's new LCDs. Here are some links:

27" and 30"

Is there a reason for the big price difference? :confused:

magid

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2003
Have you looked at the resolution on those??? They are that of a 17" lcd, it would be rediculous and a waste of money to buy those. There is a reason why the Apple monitor is that price it is.....it is superior :p

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
tech4all I'm not aiming this at you honestly.

I "really" wish that people would learn to compare features of two different products as closely as possible. In this particular case we have two LCDs aimed at different markets. These LCDs are LCD TVs thus they do not need the high resolution that a LCD Monitor aimed at computing would need. That's not to say you wouldn't be happy with a 30" at the lower resolution but it explains why Apple's 30" is $3300.

Next peeve. If you're comparing a PC to a Powermac G5 you best be comparing a dual processor PC and making sure that if the Mac has PCI-X the PC does too. I'm sick of these comparisons followed by "This Dell will be just as fast as the top Powermac"

Newsflash if you don't PCI-X you can't run some high end cards..period end of story.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
heh. . . wow check it out guys i just found this 'dull' brand laptop and wow it has more GHZ than my PB and its cheaper!!! there is a reason apple products are more expensive, they are far supirior to others! if you are not into the cool looking aluminum phase apple is going through you must realize there is a lot under the hood of any apple product that makes it superior to others.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
those LCD suck. To give you an idea how much those lcd suck is I have a 17in LCD monitor with more pix on it. 1280x1024 while the 30 inch is 1280x768

Again why the hell do people compare computers that are not even in the same ball park. a computer 300-400 less is normal pretty crappy compared to one that that much above it. Also remeber cost matter if something is a lot less that anohter product chances are it not as good.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Timelessblur said:
those LCD suck. To give you an idea how much those lcd suck is I have a 17in LCD monitor with more pix on it. 1280x1024 while the 30 inch is 1280x768

While I can't say that those LCD screens suck or not, I can say that it's not their resolutions that determine their level of suckiness. Those screens are not targeted as computer monitors. They are HDTV screens. I could turn it around and say that the Apple screens suck because they cost 2x as much and don't have co-ax inputs, component inputs, a built-in tuner, speakers, etc.

Again why the hell do people compare computers that are not even in the same ball park. a computer 300-400 less is normal pretty crappy compared to one that that much above it. Also remeber cost matter if something is a lot less that anohter product chances are it not as good.
Isn't that kinda like what you are doing comparing TV screens with computer monitors?

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
ftaok said:
While I can't say that those LCD screens suck or not, I can say that it's not their resolutions that determine their level of suckiness. Those screens are not targeted as computer monitors. They are HDTV screens. I could turn it around and say that the Apple screens suck because they cost 2x as much and don't have co-ax inputs, component inputs, a built-in tuner, speakers, etc.

Isn't that kinda like what you are doing comparing TV screens with computer monitors?

well now that I look close at it yeah it a TV but the first post is acting like it is a computer monitor and as a computer monitor those screen suck for that and I would never use them for a computer monitor.

and yeah it is to answer you other question but the coment that other person made is the typic mac vs PC compesion and just shows me another blind maccy

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I saw those two HP monitors at my local Microcenter. They weren't all that impressive. Would be OK with a Windows system.

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
quality and resolution, the Apple Cinema Display 30" is a relative discount for what you get, a 30 inch lcd with millions of colors, 2560X1538 Resolution and a DVI input with HD compatibility, an IBM display of equal dimensions at 30 " with the same resolution sells for 7999 at student store where i work, thats a lot of money, the quality of this display is amazing
you get what you pay for, but in the apple cinema displays case you get more than what you pay for

tech4all said:
I just got a Micro Center AD/catalog. They have these 2 LCD screens - 30" and 27" - a lot cheaper than Apple's new LCDs. Here are some links:

27" and 30"

Is there a reason for the big price difference? :confused:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
wPod said:
heh. . . wow check it out guys i just found this 'dull' brand laptop and wow it has more GHZ than my PB and its cheaper!!! there is a reason apple products are more expensive, they are far supirior to others! if you are not into the cool looking aluminum phase apple is going through you must realize there is a lot under the hood of any apple product that makes it superior to others.

sorry to say this but.... what the **** are you on about?

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
just remeber he another one of people out there who bought intel crap that Ghz is the best way to tell how fast a processor really is. Those people are the ones who find it hard to believe that AMD chips and apple chips that are 1ghz or so lower can go faster or hell even keep up with them

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i could understand if he took one side or the other but he contradicts himself saying pc's have "more GHz) but apples have the stuff "under the hood" he makes no sense so i say again, wtf

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I still think apple are over price more so massively over price. I say take the edu price and knock over another 50-100 and you have about how much the are really worth

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Timelessblur said:
I still think apple are over price more so massively over price. I say take the edu price and knock over another 50-100 and you have about how much the are really worth

I used to have those same ideas about mac products, could never understand why they were so expensive...

Of course, that was before I knew what was going on under the hood of these computers. Your typical PeeCee is a LOT cheaper than a mac, because these PeeCee's aren't even in the same ballpark with the "comparable" mac.

I guarentee if you go out and do a straight up comparison between a mac and PeeCee you will find that they are nearly the same price. If the PeeCee is a little cheaper, it's worth the extra money simply to not have to deal with Windows.. :p

stoid

macrumors 601
Hector said:
i could understand if he took one side or the other but he contradicts himself saying pc's have "more GHz) but apples have the stuff "under the hood" he makes no sense so i say again, wtf

GHz aren't everything, so it is possible to have fewer Ghz, and still have more 'under the hood'. Most (all?) bargain PCs use el cheapo plastic parts where Apple uses metal or high-grade plastics. That seems superior to me. Don't take everything so negatively.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
evilgEEk said:
I used to have those same ideas about mac products, could never understand why they were so expensive...

Of course, that was before I knew what was going on under the hood of these computers. Your typical PeeCee is a LOT cheaper than a mac, because these PeeCee's aren't even in the same ballpark with the "comparable" mac.

I guarentee if you go out and do a straight up comparison between a mac and PeeCee you will find that they are nearly the same price. If the PeeCee is a little cheaper, it's worth the extra money simply to not have to deal with Windows.. :p

well they are compairely price to a computer from lets say alienware or like them. Now compare them to the hold built computer and well price wise apple gets blown out of the water. The only compainy that can compete in that area is dell but for the same amount of many I put in much better componites

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I dunno about you guys, but I would just love to spend a couple of grand on a 30" LCD and have a few stuck/dead pixels right in the center...

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Timelessblur said:
Now compare them to the hold built computer and well price wise apple gets blown out of the water.

This is exactly what I'm saying. You can't compare an $800 Dell to a PowerMac, you can't even compare it to an iMac or eMac. I'm not saying you should buy the Apple machine, if all you need to do is surf the net, listen to music and check email then by all means go with the Dell. But if you want a computer that is powerful enough to do some multi-tasking (without crashing) then I suggest you go with a consumer level Mac.

It's just nonsense when people compare a consumer level Dell (or similar) to a PowerMac.

Oh well...

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Now comparing home build to apple computer is another way to compare the the 2. The only problem is general the Home builts blow apple computer out of the water in price vs quitly and profomences (and I going to use the ones that have a XP pro legit since it ony 140 OEM). Mind you I think with the home built they can get better quilty parts than even apple uses. Yeah apple uses really good parts much better than dell but still home builts can get better parts.

But then again not many people built their own system. Now for pre built system PC to buy to compare is something like Alienware to apple with Edu discount and then price are much closer together in everything

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
blah blah blah sucky blah...
1388 x 780 (JVC_16:9D)
This is a nice LCD TV. I wouldn't sniff at playing BF1942 on it with a bit of FSAA. It's not a monitor at all, but it would probably do the job of a huge-ass gaming screen fairly well, second to serving a nice job as your television... remember S-VHS usually tops out at 1024*768 on most video cards with TV output.

Buy the right tool for the job.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
stoid said:
GHz aren't everything, so it is possible to have fewer Ghz, and still have more 'under the hood'. Most (all?) bargain PCs use el cheapo plastic parts where Apple uses metal or high-grade plastics. That seems superior to me. Don't take everything so negatively.

alfter reading his post again and again i think i get it, he's compareing how the average joe would think dell is better because they are cheaper but acctually a powerbook is better for reasons that the average joe would not think about the same as the average joe just tends to look at screen size not the resolution.

i did not reallise he was saying how silly the that "the pc has more GHz" comment was it apeared to be his acctual opinion but though macs have some magical power "under the hood". to me it apeared that he was contradicting himself, but now i see what he ment.

p.s. what happened to the star wars avatar am i the only one left? or is there another?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.