30" Monitor Suggestions for 2008 15" MBP (late model) running Lion OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lb94598, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lb94598 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Also, if possible, looking for monitors that will support my MBP's highest resolution of 1440x900. Lastly, what is the best cable to connect the two?

Thanks in advance!

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

First off what is your price range? (without knowing this the question is impossible to answer)

Your best connection option is DVI. I assume the computer has a MiniDisplay port so you would need a MiniDisplay to DVI adapter. If you want to do a full res 30" display you need a dual link DVI adapter and cable.

Also your second monitor is not limited to 1440x900 you can go up to 2560x1600.

3. lb94598 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, did think to include pirce range. Would prefer to keep it under $1,000 but could go up to $1,200 if there was a really good product.

Your comment about the resolution brings up an additional question. My MBP's "highest" resolution is 1440x900 Is it possible to setup the external monitor so that it displays nearly identicle to that of my MBP? (in other words I would like for the external monitor to "look" exactly like the screen on my MBP.

Thanks again.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Regarding bold section above: Is that they highest resolution of your MBP or you internal MBP screen. I have not looked up the specs of your machine... but you can typically support a much higher display than the screen of your laptop. If you can support 2560X1600 or 2560X1440, then that would be your best bet. You would then run your MBP in clamshell mode.

I run my 1366X768 MPA on external 27" monitors at 2560X1440. I use a Dell U2711 using Display Port, and an ATD using Thunderbolt. I can also run it on my HP 30" display using an Apple Dual Link DVI adapter.

/Jim

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Not sure what you will be using a 30" monitor for but I've noticed at work you get a lot of conformity issues over such a large panel. Not sue about pricing in the US but check out the NEC PA301 if your needing to do any image critical work. We have one of these at work and it looks great ( run of a g5)

6. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Yes, you can set the screen to mirror instead of extend the desktop. I would also recommend going with a Dell monitor. You should be able to find a good deal on a monitor of sufficient size.