30-person melee at Wal-Mart leads to 4 arrests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jul 7, 2016.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

need another reason to avoid walmart? I guess there was another one in the parking lot 3 hours earlier at the same store.

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I checked the date. It's not the day after Thanksgiving...

The girls should have been better behaved. The dress may or may not have been tasteful and it's usually better to mock something truly obscene... throwing cans of food with the intent to do bodily injury is a serious issue.

Try the teens as adults. If the parents won't be bothered, then the rest of the village has to step in or accept anarchy, which even the anarchists would not want under certain ironic circumstances they won't think about until it's about them.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Have a link for this? I ask because I wonder if this fight was better than the one over the weekend at a Taco joint in Dallas, that was thrown online.

BL.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

6. Renzatic, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Man, I've walked into Walmart with mud smeared clothes and a bleeding cut down my arm before. Fancy, my ass!

No, I wasn't there to get bandages. I needed Dixie Cups.

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

[​IMG]

some stuff you just can't make up.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Ahh nice seeing my home town on here... I personally despise Walmart but the Gates Walmart is a particularly crappy one.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The reason I was asking about the link: I wanted to compare it to this.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/dallas/article86696827.html

Normally, I'd expect this at Walmart, but not a 30-person brawl.

BL.

11. LizKat, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well Walmart needs to rethink its cost cutting approach to things. A few security guards around the place and people think twice, or at least ONCE. The messages are "don't bring it in here" and "don't come in here to steal stuff".

And people are idiots sometimes (re the taco shop melee). That one sounds like gangbangers acting out, the girls staring at each other on a dare to make something out of nothing. When I would see the makings of something like that in NYC (not quite so many participants!) in a Chinese-Cuban place where I ordered takeout and a couple rival drug gangs sometimes brought their usually well behaved friends and family to sit down and eat, I would tell the guy at the counter "you owe me one okay" and just fricken leave. You know when someone's trying to start something between a couple rival gang members in a food joint. There's usually time to get the heck out before it goes down. Anyone who sticks around just to find out what's going to happen is nuts. It's like stopping your car on the highway to look at a wreck on the other side. Death wish anyone?

12. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

walmart the new chuck e cheese.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 7, 2016 ---
    walmart can't even keep the shelves stocked. I only get a few things there since I walk past it every day. but I would rather not get anything there really.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yet they keep trying to open new stores... where they are not wanted...

I go there in the fall to stock up on cat litter in massive quantity before winter comes. But I like the little packages for ease of handling so I use Walmart rather than going to the ag supply house for generic 40-pound bags. Outside of that preference, I avoid Walmart like the plague. It has just occurred to me I could pay a little more per package at Hannaford and will probably do that in future!

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    There is literally one Walmart less than 5 miles away in any direction from my house, with rumors that one will be built a little over a mile away sometime in the near future.

I get the impression that they want to be the central hub of every little town across the US.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

For some places, they are.

My parents grew up in a small town on the Oklahoma/Texas border. Town of less than 5000 people (and it only swells out to that much when the circus is on winter break). It has a main street that hearkens back to its heyday in the mid 1900s, a small airport, and is the last exit on its highway (Indian Nation Turnpike). When I was a kid and visited there, they had the following:

A Sonic.
    A Dairy Queen.
    A Burger King.
    A Walmart.

Up until 5 years ago, the last time I was in that town was 1985. Fast forward to 2011. Go back there for my grandmother's birthday. Burger King? gone. Dairy Queen? gone. Sonic is still there. They finally built a McDonald's (before that, you had to go 15 miles up a turnpike to get to the closest McDonald's).

The only thing in that town that maintained consistency place there for any shopping, is the Walmart. They even forced 2 grocery stores (both chains) and 5 different mom/pop shops to close up.

Interestingly enough, my in-laws come from a small town in south-central Utah. It is a town of less than 5000 people, has a main street that hearkens back to its heyday, a small airport, and is the last major exit on its highway (it is 15 miles from the termination of Interstate 70). It has:

A Sonic.
    A McDonalds.
    A Walmart.

I'd say that it is slightly better in this town, as it has at least 2 major hotel chains in town, where my parents' town doesn't. But my point here is that the Walmart here also caused a few grocery stores, mom/pop shops, and even the K-Mart that had been in town for over 30 years to close up shop.

My point: when the people of small towns like these have nothing better to do than to get together on a Saturday night than to get into their souped up trucks and go hang out at a Walmart, you know it is the central hub of the town.. the only other thing you could do is leave.

BL.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

What are they doing this for. They can't even stock what people want now; they made a decision to cut down the number of brands and a lot of stores still look like that policy wasn't reversed, which officially I think it was. And they don't staff up enough security so they're annoying municipalities that end up deploying cops too often.

Maybe it's a conspiracy to buy all the land in the USA that isn't already owned by Chinese-owned pork producers.

They best stay clear of here. As in the post of @bradl above, the Walmart 15 or so miles away from here forced closure of a Kmart, an Ames, a Grand Union and a bunch of general stores around the area in the first three or four years it was open back in the late 80s. It has been part of the reason the former Ames venue is still a blank spot in a town 11 miles the other direction. There's a whole lot of jobs disappeared right there. People around here have long memories and short tempers about that Walmart coming in and laying waste to the local economies like that. Plus we vote and go to town council meetings wide awake and pretty suspicious of anything doesn't sound like a hassle over dogs running deer or something routine like that.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Richfield?

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You got it!

BL.

19. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Walmart has driven out businesses then closed shop and left towns with nothing for the people.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes it has. That's why I try to shop elsewhere. It's why I shopped at those general stores. But everyone's short of money and time and if you're near a Walmart anyway when you're in town for something then it doesn't seem like a big deal to a lot of people to grab some milk at Walmart instead of spending more on it closer to home on the way back. Until it's winter and you're out of milk and if you want it, it's now a 30-mile round trip over the mountain twice instead of a mile or two and back from a mom/pop shop in the village.

And gas is cheap sometimes but when it's not... and your SUV sucks gas like the pig that it is... well that gallon of milk you're after is pretty expensive.

We don't always think things through very well in this price-driven consumerist economy we have grown in the USA.

21. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

it is only because I walt through their parking lot twice a day that I shop there. then only for certain things. things hard to carry like eggs and toilet paper almost no food. no meat most things are too low quality for me.

22. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'd have been walking in to buy popcorn. Entertainment is where you find it.

23. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Dunno, but perhaps they should have used the drive-thru instead. :D

BL.