30 pin connector on ipad2 little harder to connect than ipad1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tekniklyrawly, Mar 17, 2011.

1. tekniklyrawly macrumors member

Is it me or does it seem that the ipad2 30 pin connector is harder to connect to than ipad1.?
    It seems as if though they angled it in away so as to not loose any height,
    In there ability to make it thinner, if they had placed the 30 pin connector straight in a 90° angle I don't think they would have achieved the thinness they wanted. On the ipad 1 the connector is in 90° and it has Millimeters to spare on it's top and bottom sides
    but the ipad2 is in what seems a 45°, with zero to spare.
    I don't really know, but the 1st time I attempted to connect it, I had serious trouble, I feel like I might bend one of the pins
    Anybody have similar experiences?

2. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Totally agree

The 30 pin connector does not go into the ipad 2 smoothly. Not sure what is up with that.

3. CBlake82 macrumors member

+1

I hate how it doesn't sit flush with the bottom either. I know, I know, minor gripe but it just seems weird to see part of the metal sticking out.

4. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

When they were activating mine in store during the chaos that was launch night, the Apple Store employee slipped with the dock connector and scraped it along the back a bit as he was trying to insert it to activate it. I almost freaked and had to get a close look to make sure he didn't scratch it.

5. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

At first, I thought the same thing, but it's really no difference.

6. tekniklyrawly thread starter macrumors member

NO BS We literally have like this procedure when conecting it to recharge or sync
    It goes like this seriously Ok insert it very very carefully
    Besides that We love our new iPad2, Actually it really belongs to my daughter age 3...but for now it is all hands off at least for another couple of days

7. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

Mine has loosened up a little since I first tried to disconnect it. It was definitely a tight fit the first few times.

8. npinchot macrumors newbie

Your iPad has trunk butt.

9. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

We all know the port is angled, so all you have to do is mimic the angle. I exaggerate it even more; inserting it "up" into the port at almost a 45 degree angle. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but I've had no issues with the connector since changing to this strategy.

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

+1 I had a problem disconnecting it at first. It has since loosened up. It was pretty tight kind of like a virg.. never mind. :cool:

11. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

Apple really needs to go to mini-micro-whatever-USB. Yeah, it's tight, and it isn't flush either. I also hate that wide gaping opening on the bottom of the devices.

12. ironscabula macrumors newbie

Hard to plug in

I too am having some serious problems plugging into the connector. It got better after the first few, but seems to be acting up again. It seems you need perfect accuracy to get it in, and I feel that when I don't it will break the port

13. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same here; was harder the first times; get smooth now. Liked the connector from iPad1 also more; looks a bit over-designed but under-engineered to me. But functionality is ok.

14. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Yea it losens after a while, but one thing i miss is being able to plug it in in the dark. I cant do that now without fear of scratching the area around the port. Its almost like surgery.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree it is difficult to connect and not as straight forward as the original iPad. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to end up scratching the iPad.