30 Pin to Lightning Adapter: The New White iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Does anyone remember when the iPhone 4 launched, that the white variant would be "shipping soon" after launch. Well, "soon" turned into many months, and it wasn't until the following Spring (almost a year later) that the white iPhone 4 finally launched.

That said, maybe I am being a little dramatic, but at present, absolutely NO ONE has caught this mythical 30 Pin to Lightning Adapter in the wild, and NO ONE has any idea as to when they will arrive. I think it's safe to say (or at least, I hope) that the adapter won't take almost a year to launch, but am I wrong for speculating that we are in for more than a wait than until just "October". They now have less than 4 weeks to ship these, and still Apple seems quiet on the issue.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My ebay seller said he will get them by next week.
    Not the official Apple adapters, 3rd party seller.
    We will see I guess.

3. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I live in Austin and I have not seen that adapter either. However if you just get yourself another cable for $19 at the Apple store or at the AT&T store you can use it in any of your other USB chargers for your car. I just bought a separate lightning cable and I leave one here at the house and I carry the other with me all the time. Until you find an adapter that's a good suggestion to do is just get another cable.

4. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I guess it's not the charging ability that matters, as much as I need the adapter because my car's iDevice interface is 30 pin.

5. Mike J macrumors regular

let us know how that goes because of the whole third party adapter not working issue going around.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I'm interested too to see if I wasted $7 on it or not:)

7. dgstan macrumors 6502a

If your iPhone starts smoking, it could be a lot more than $7.

8. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

The Apple Store in Amsterdam had them laid out on the counter when I bought my phone.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what Apple would want everyone to believe and buy their overpriced wires.
    I think I'll be ok:)

10. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Seems odd that we had pictures of the new lightning sync cable, earphones and actual phone in the weeks leading up to launch but not one shot of the adaptor.

I went ahead and bought a 30 pin to USB female adaptor http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockBossplus-iPhone-5-Kit.html so maybe I can use my phone in the car using a new sync cable. Will be crazy having 6-8 feet of cord laying around, but it's better than what apple is giving me right now which is jack and squat.

11. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I don't own any docking accessories or anything that has a 30-pin interface built into it. Any accessories I have that I needed a cable for, I just plugged the USB end of a 30-pin cable into (e.g. my car stereo deck). I've found that all such accessories of mine have worked perfectly fine with the included lightning cable that came with my iP5.

That being said, is there such a thing as a 30-pin female to usb female adapter, and if so, would that be a (very un-elegant) temporary solution?

----------

You must have posted that as I was typing out my last post. Please let us know how it works out.

12. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I'll agree with you on one thing, your being overly dramatic. Apple promised them for October, and I just don't see any basis for not giving them the benefit of the doubt. Sure they have dropped the ball before but I think we can give them till at least the third week of October before we start crying the sky is falling. The fact that Apple has remained silent means nothing, their Apple, that's what they do.

13. petethepanda macrumors member

It's downright absurd that they did not have them at launch, but I can't imagine the wait will actually stretch past October. It's a pretty damn vital accessory.

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

What about their Apple?:rolleyes:

15. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Well we were promised the ethernet to thunderbolt adapter but that didn't come when it was supposed to.

16. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You have a point. But don't rumors usually drop? Parts leak?

We will see I guess.

17. reputationZed macrumors 65816

All I'm saying is that the adapters not late. Apple said it would ship in October. I think that it's just a bit premature to expect long term delays.

----------

Not that familiar with the thunder chicken / Ethernet adapter. Did Apple miss a promised date or did they say it would ship soon but it didn't ship soon enough?

18. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

So, I got my Dockboss adapter cable and it does not work for me. I tried it on my iHome clock radio and it does charge but could not get sound out.

I tried it in my car, which is the main reason I bought it and it does not work either. I have a 2004 MINI cooper with the Dicelink Silverline iPhone kit, which has a 30 pin cable with a non standard connection on the other end so I can't change the cable. When I initially plug it in, it does the usual vibrate or chime and shows then charging symbol, then after a second, the charging symbol goes away and a box pops up that says charging will not work with this accessory. It can't control it or get audio that was playing from the phone. The head unit says its connected, but it just sits there and does nothing. Worked just fine with my iPhone 3G, the iPhone 4 and 4s

Maybe it is a defect, but I'm just returning and I guess I have to see If the official Apple part does any better or if I can find another car kit that allows USB hookup.

19. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

UPS attempted to deliver mine yesterday but I missed the truck ... This actually reminds me of the camera connection kit for the iPad ... That thing was on months and months back order.