$30 Verizon Activation Fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drmark50, Sep 14, 2012.

1. drmark50 macrumors newbie

Did anybody else see a warning on an activation fee? I bought at unsubsidized price - I upgraded to the 4s on release day last October.

2. The Bronx Bull macrumors member

I went half way through the ordering process on the VZW website, and saw they wanted to charge a $30 activation fee.

However, as soon as the Apple site went up, I completed my order through there; I didn't see anything about an activation fee via Apple? :confused:

3. drmark50 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jredecop macrumors 6502a

There wasn't anything on my order...strange

5. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

It will appear on your next bill. Just call and complain, and they should refund it. It's one of the more flexible fees to be waived.

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It'll be on your next verizon bill.

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

The activation fee will be included on your next wireless bill. You can probably call in to get it waived.

8. wongulous macrumors 6502a

It's an upgrade fee (activation is $35). And no one can seem to credit it in my experiences trying to help friends...

9. diegoesk macrumors regular

the activation fee on apple is there on the screen before you check out. its in small grey letters.

10. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I went through the Apple store app also and did see the message about $30 activation fee through Verizon. I thought we weren't going to get charged that if we buy unsubsidized...

11. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

There is always an upgrade fee, and Apple is just warning you. Give them a call after your next bill cycle.

12. drmark50 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't charged it, just advised of it by Apple. Also saw it when I signed into Verizon after i ordered through apple.

13. NJMacJunky macrumors member

I was charged the $30 upgrade fee, but I also had a $30 credit discount since my upgrade was available in March, so they cancelled each other out.

14. drmark50 thread starter macrumors newbie

This an activation fee not upgrade. I already have an active line that I am switching phones on.

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

AT&T will every time if you complain, can not speak for other carriers though

16. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

I don't think so. I tried my complain and whine and cajole act, and got no love at all from VZW. Their reply was "our fee is 30 percent less than the other carriers". In other words, "thanks for the gift, now go back into your corner and be quiet."

17. NJMacJunky macrumors member

The attached screenshot from my confirmation clearly says 'Upgrade Fee' The current 'Upgrade Fee' for AT&T is $36. This is not a new line I have been a customer for over 8 years, so it is not an activation fee.

Attached Files:

18. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I have never paid an activation fee in the last five years on either Verizon or AT&T out of at least 10 I have had charged to me (ya I switch phones and such a lot). Complaining/cajoling isn't the way to go. Asking politely and explaining that fee is making the first bill more than I can comfortably pay works 80% of the time. For the other 20%? Hang up and call again and the next rep waives it. :cool:

19. trouble747 macrumors 6502

I ordered from Verizon and didn't see anything about an activation fee. Maybe it will show up later....

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Verizon charges 2 such fees:
    1. Activation Fee - This is charged to new customers starting new lines of service and is very easily waived.
    2. Upgrade Fee - This is charged to continuing customers who upgrade phones and is almost NEVER waived (most reps will tell you that it CANNOT be).
    They are either charged on the spot or will show up on the next bill, but rest assured, they will show up. The only exception to this is with SOME, not all, employer discounts.

-Will

:apple::apple::apple:

21. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I was charged an upgrade fee for the upgrade phone but no activation fee on the full priced one I purchased.

I called this morning and they took off the 30 dollar upgrade fee.

22. trouble747 macrumors 6502

I have a government employee discount, hopefully that will take care of it....

23. caranddriver macrumors regular

There is a thread going on people getting their AT&T activation fees waived (I was successful). Would be great to start a Verizon one.

24. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I just called Verizon and they said they cant waive the fee. Best Buy never mentioned it but it was on my Verizon sheet they gave me I noticed today.

25. SandersTP, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

SandersTP macrumors newbie

Working at a Verizon call center, I see at least half of the reps will credit the upgrade fee if you complain. Really just depends on who you get. No harm at all in persisting until someone gives.

Also I've never seen any kind of employee discount that waives it.

I *have* however heard from customers that some retailers (costco?) do not apply the fee. Think I may have seen WalMart advertise different upgrade fee costs, maybe $5. Not 100% sure though.