300 workers threaten MASS SUICIDE at FOXCONN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Steve Jobs., Jan 10, 2012.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Caveat :

300 employees who worked making the Xbox 360.

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Wrong time to bash Microsoft.

3. renewed, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012

renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

As far as Foxconn goes there needs to be some sort of investigation lest we prove that shiny products are more important to us than human rights.

4. leekohler, Jan 10, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. eawmp1, Jan 10, 2012

eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Hopefully, with increased awareness an the courage of those taking a stand, a fledgling workers' rights movement will take hold in China.

6. leekohler, Jan 10, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's hope this is the start of positive things regarding workers in China. This has got to stop.

7. Peace, Jan 10, 2012

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I agree 100%. The point I was making when I said they were making the Xbox ( of which I own one ) was that Foxconn makes gadgets for a lot of companies and people shouldn't jump on Apple alone. Other companies use Foxconn and should equally be aware of what's going on there.

Perhaps there needs to be an industry wide group to investigate this and try to do something to help these hard working people.

This is what happens when you outsource to China but don't just bash Apple. Bash all the tech companies using Foxconn.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. It's an industry-wide problem, and it needs to be addressed.

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Believe less than half of what The Atlantic Wire and This American Life print. Both have extremely strong anti-China positions and are not above stretching the truth or simply fabricating a story for the "betterment of mankind."

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh please. Really? Offer some proof. It is a long known truth that China is terrible with regards to human rights.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That's almost worse than making baseless assertions on the internet!

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

-Theodore Roosevelt on Upton Sinclair after publication of The Jungle.

Those ignorant of history...

13. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

From link:
    Can somebody please explain the text that I have highlighted? :confused:

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Just because you agree with their principles doesn't make their assertions any more accurate. I've read many articles from each source and having actually worked in China and spent time at the facilities they slam, I know first hand they exaggerate or just invent atrocities that fit their political agenda.

Go ahead and criticize China - I do it all the time - but do so using facts from credible sources.

And if your outrage is real, express your hatred by boycotting products made in China. I dare you. Buy only products with all of their sub components manufactured in countries where your liberal values are enforced, and quit being a hypocrite. People posting of the horrors of Chinese products using their electronics manufactured in China need to look in the mirror.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In what sense? I believe that they're highlighting the products of such working conditions. I don't think, but then again I have little way of proving what I think, that they're dismembering employees for any reason. All I know is what the media has pushed out, regrettably.

16. werther, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

werther macrumors regular

And then Roosevelt actually toured the factories and found that the reality was even worse than Sinclair's portrayal. Roosevelt then told the industry leaders to devise a plan to better the industry conditions by a certain time frame...or else.

When he met with them next, their proposal was a joke and thus we have the FDA. Roosevelt didn't **** around.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

True...glad there is another student of history.
    However, the first reaction of disbelief is often to marginalize the messenger (as was done above).

18. elistan macrumors 6502a

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF is wrong with you? Since when is treating human beings with respect a "liberal value"? Are you saying conservatives do not care for humane treatment of workers? That's quite revealing. And FYI- I do my best not to buy things made in China. But it's not always possible. Just because I have bought things made in China, I'm not supposed to have a strong opinion regarding the safety and health of workers there? Whatever. :rolleyes:

And your personal anecdotes do no good. You still have yet to prove your claims.

I guess PC World is anti-China too.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Seems this had nothing to do with bad working conditions.

"It is our understanding that the worker protest was related to staffing assignments and transfer policies, not working conditions," a Microsoft representative told CNET yesterday. "Due to regular production adjustments, Foxconn offered the workers the option of being transferred to alternative production lines or resigning and receiving all salary and bonuses due, according to length of service. After the protest, the majority of workers chose to return to work. A smaller portion of those employees elected to resign."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-5...rs-who-threatened-mass-suicide/?tag=cnetRiver

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How do you know it wasn't about working conditions? I mean, this is China we are talking about, and the "offer" may have been one they couldn't refuse... Horse head optional.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

How do you know it WAS about working conditions ?

Had it been so bad it would seem all of them would have quit and taken the money.

I mean they aren't being forced to work there. And from what I understand they get paid a lot more than the average Chinese citizen.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Let me guess... you think the free market will always treat workers fairly, and would never, ever, ever subject workers to the types of horrors typical of the workshops in China (I mean, why would US companies leave in droves for the benefits of China?)

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Your guess is wrong.