300MB enough for iMessage & Google Voice Texts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powerbook911, May 31, 2012.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I was going to add a line to my account for an elderly family member. I plan to pick them up an iPhone 4 (not a great time for it but oh well). They have an iPod now, but want to replace their cell while having text messaging, iPod features, and some simple games.

The data charge is the annoying bit.

I plan to put them on 300 MB AT&T package. Should that be enough for using Google voice text messages and iMessage text messages each month? They won't use Safari or anything, I can even disable Safari if I have to. They hate it on the iPod because of their eyes.

My mother is on the 250 MB plan but she doesn't text at all and only uses about 40MB a month. ha.

Just not sure if they do like 1000 Google voice or iMessage texts if these apps suck down extra data for maintenance and checks and whatnot. At home it will connect to their wifi as well.

Thanks.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I have 400mb a month and its sure enough for imessage, google voice, and vonage! However, I go to places that have free wifi a lot and at home of course.

3. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

More than enough. Each iMessage and google text takes just kilobytes

4. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

does AT&T still offer that data package? i thought the lowest you can have is 2gig.

5. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

AT&T offers 2 data package (w/o tethering)
    $20 for 300 mb
    $30 for 3gb

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As with any "Is X enough?" thread, it's entirely dependent on usage. Rule of thumb: 1 character = 1 byte. Calculate it out. There are no one-size-fits-all answers for topics like this. If in doubt, carefully monitor usage and adjust as needed.

7. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, more than enough. It's a matter of what else they do on the phone that will chew it up.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Interesting, did not know that. What happens if you format it bold or italic?