300MPG not allowed in America!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by satcomer, Dec 2, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

efficient cars is why the GOVT wants to tax you by the mile.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It's an emissions issue...and America's insane emission standards that keep many diesel vehicles off our roads, while being readily available in europe, come from where...?

The EPA? Yeah they suck...but who else...

CALIFORNIA!!!!

Mazda has been trying to get their diesel cars over here for years and can't get their engines to meet EPA standards without gimping them all to hell...

5. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I love Snopes

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68010

Mr Kram

guessing that it has nothing to do with mph. maybe vw didn't want to invest in crash testing, etc. there are many cars available in the ROW, that would be purchased in the USA.

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

The first comment sounds pretty legit...

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Diesels are bad for the local environment though.

9. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

stylinexpat

China could use these cars to clean up their air from all that pollution that they have now. I wonder if communist China would allow. Democratic America did not.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd have thought so. China does usually follow EU emissions rules.

11. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Just going to point out the article you are using is very poorly written. Just opinionated and not based on facts.
    You are right not allowed in the USA. It is not over crash testing. It is not even making it there as it fails our safety requirements on lighting bumper height ect.
    It has to past those to even get to crash testing so it failed a long time before it got there.
    Vw stated they had no plans to do the required modification to make it pass us standards.

Now is USA standards better the European Union. No, they are different. Some areas are better and safer others the European Union is better.

The problem car manufacturers run into is when designing a car they have multiple different regulations that are not compatible with each other big time on lighting.

12. 0007776 Suspended

That made me look up the author's other works, there's some pretty entertaining stuff such as the zombie apocalypse is coming
    He seems to buy into just about every conspiracy out there, and somehow he is the one that has proof for all of them.

So I think it is safe to say that this guy is an idiot and there is no reason to believe any of his articles.

13. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

That is cool that it gets so many mpg, but this is not the change that needs to be made. It still uses gas. These uber powerful automotive companies should be investing their research in alternative fuels. I think many forget that this just delays the inevitable; we won't have oil forever.

Why not focus on hydrogen or salt-water? We have the ability, as humans. We just need to invest the time and money to expand these alternative fuels to market.

I honestly do not care about the XL1 being available. It is neat, sure, but just a new model of the same junk. No thanks.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    There's been a small push recently towards hydrogen cell vehicles. Nothing earth shattering, but baby steps have been made.

While it's not based upon an entirely new fuel technology, a 300MPG vehicle would make for a great interim between the old standard and the next big thing.

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Hey, roads costs $.

----------

Sounds like a motorcycle!

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It only took a minute (and actually reading the article and the accompanying comments) to come up with a reason for not marketing the VW in the USA that didn't sound like crackpot conspiracy:

They're perfectly willing to sell it in America and no one is trying to hide it. The oil companies aren't trying to ban it either. They even had a whole write up on it in Car and Driver last July. The reason they can't sell it in America is it violates pretty much every safety law in name of aerodynamics. No rear view mirrors, no rear window, no bumpers, no power steering (or power anything), no crumple zones, etc, etc. This article is a straight-up lie. Sorry.​

17. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

The only major company pushing toward hydrogen cell is Toyota, if I am not mistaken. I could be wrong.

18. satcomer thread starter macrumors 603

satcomer

Wow really passive aggressive. I could never load the comments for where I am. The web page is never fully loads.

However I really am starting to dislike Volkswagen on how the cripple the Golf GTI compared to what is available everywhere else in world!

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

As mentioned above, air pollution is a serious problem in many places, and, not just the U.S. Diesels have a serious pollution issue. I've heard all about clean diesels, but, I never seem to be driving behind one.

300 MPG is not realistic for a safe, non-electric vehicle. But, if you will settle for 50 MPG, you can buy one today. Even a used one. 2010 and later Prius get 50 MPG. The lead-footed can put it in performance mode and get around 43 MPG.

20. TimelessOne macrumors regular

In some ways Diesel is cleaner. The issue with diesel is the soot and other fine particles. It is hard not to do that as diesel burns very "dirty" dirty in the sense that the fuel to air mixture is very poor over all as it is exploding when the fuel is injected. Compared to gas engine where the fuel and air is mix on the intact stroke. It lets a much cleaner burn happen.

21. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Way to kill the authors credibility. :D

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It can't explode with out the fuel the fuel causes the explosion diesel engines use the heat from the compressed air in the cylinder to ignite vs a spark plug. Diesel pollution is different the gas pollution that is true but there is no soot coming out of tail pipes from cars here in Europe anymore. Diesel tech has come a LONG way in the last 20 years. Our '13 118d get ~60 MPG and you'd never know it's a diesel without the hood open.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Wrong. Sarcasm.